C.O.B - "album sales don't exist anymore"

To be honest, Bodom isn't exactly a band I think would have sky high album sales even if album sales were what they used to be. They have their audience but it's a niche market, even in the metal world - any metal band with a keyboardist or style like theirs is. But that's beside the point. I wish more people valued music enough to actually pay for the music, even if it's digital. But people just assume they can get anything for free via YouTube or a free streaming service (even though the YouTube thing is technically illegal, nobody seems to care!). Hell, I pay for physical albums *and* pay for Spotify premium. I don't know if it makes a difference whether I pay for Spotify or not, but I still buy CDs dammit. Got 2 on the way, in fact, as of now!

Unfortunately it feels like only two groups of people even bother to pay for music anymore. Hardcore music fans who regularly purchase music, and people who aren't actually huge music fans but pick up the occasional rap/pop star album at a local Walmart or something. Bleh.

I think you are on the money to a certain degree Dom.....the sad reality I guess is that it only works if you are a band or artist at a sufficient level to be able to afford to get out and stay out on the road for enough time to make that trade off viable.

I guess COB are much more in that position than bands like PQ ever were. To be honest, I think if I was going to strike out again with a project the only way forward in many respects would be the Pledge/Kickstarter approach so that everything could be tailored to what the target audience would like to see/have both in terms of product but also in terms of live activity as well.