Cabinet Impulse question

DarkMan

New Metal Member
Aug 16, 2008
Hi everyone, first post here. Seems to be a pretty cool forum and I look forward to posting more here.

I'm using VoxengoBoogex in Sonar Home Studio 6XL as a plugin so I can use cabinet impulses that I have downloaded online. I was using Kefir previously, but I think VoxengoBoogex actually sounds better, not sure what it is. Just sounds better to my ears.

Anyway, I've been having MAJOR issues with dropouts with Voxengo that I never had with Kefir. Here are my computer specs:

HP desktop
400 gig C drive with all my programs
500 gig E drive with all my Sonar projects (nothing else)
120 gig external for backups
4 gigs of ram
Presonus Inspire GT interface
Samson monitors
PodXT

I really don't think my hardware is the problem at all because I don't get dropouts with anything else and my CPU rarely goes above 30% in Sonar with tons of effects going. Is there a bug with Voxengo that can be fixed with a patch or something?

edit....

I also did an internet search for a known problem and didn't come up with anything.

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Hi everyone, first post here. Seems to be a pretty cool forum and I look forward to posting more here.

I'm using VoxengoBoogex in Sonar Home Studio 6XL as a plugin so I can use cabinet impulses that I have downloaded online. I was using Kefir previously, but I think VoxengoBoogex actually sounds better, not sure what it is. Just sounds better to my ears.

Anyway, I've been having MAJOR issues with dropouts with Voxengo that I never had with Kefir. Here are my computer specs:

HP desktop
400 gig C drive with all my programs
500 gig E drive with all my Sonar projects (nothing else)
120 gig external for backups
4 gigs of ram
Presonus Inspire GT interface
Samson monitors
PodXT

I really don't think my hardware is the problem at all because I don't get dropouts with anything else and my CPU rarely goes above 30% in Sonar with tons of effects going. Is there a bug with Voxengo that can be fixed with a patch or something?

edit....

I also did an internet search for a known problem and didn't come up with anything.

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum)
register your copy

registering your copy should work.

I also have noticed that I find Boogex sounding better than Kefir and PristineSpace sounding better than Boogex, same impulse, just better quality or something. Did anybody else notice that?

Thanks guys, will try registering! (again, I really did try searching this topic, but didn't come up with anything)

edit....

BTW, what other programs for this are out there? Kefir, Boogex, noarin mentioned Pristine Space..... what else is out there?

registering your copy should work.

I also have noticed that I find Boogex sounding better than Kefir and PristineSpace sounding better than Boogex, same impulse, just better quality or something. Did anybody else notice that?

Yeah, atleast KeFir was really bad when I tried. I have to check if SIR and Boogex are equal quality.

Yeah, i have noticed Kefir sounds different to all the other impulse loader vst's. Actually, i have done tests where i have compared a single impulse in various IR vst's, only to discover kefir was the only one that sounded different, so i tend to use sir or voxengo products first.

Well there is only one exception - Revalver RIR, but it adds a controllable amount of speaker distortion simulation on top of the impulse so it natuarlly will sound different.

Kefir, Boogex, noarin mentioned Pristine Space..... what else is out there?

Free:
Kefir
Voxengo Boogex
Sir

Commercial:
Waves IR-1
Voxengo Pristine Space
Voxengo Impulse
Sir 2
Revalver I/II/III RIR

I'm sure there are others but these seem to be the most common for pc.

A little update (and another question):

The guy who designed Boogex answers questions on his forum and, after asking him how to register it (I couldn't figure it out for the life of me), he said you're not supposed to register it and there shouldn't be any dropouts. Any other ideas? lol

And, thanks for those suggestions. I'm specifically looking for something that will be able to apply cabinet impulses, so will they all work for that? I know SIR does convolution reverbs, will it also do cab impulses?

Just downloaded SIR (not SIR 2 because apparently there's a "bell sound" that goes off every few seconds in the demo version). Unless I'm just a complete dumbass - which is a possibility! - I don't see a gain control or any type of volume in SIR. So, what are you supposed to do, just set your volume before you start recording and make sure it's the volume you want?

Not sure about the volume control thing, but I avoid the free version of SIR cuz it has built in latency that can't be banished :mad:

Yeah, i don't know what the others were talking about registering boogex when it is free. But anyway, with SIR just make sure it's 100% wet / 0% dry, get your volumes and your away.

I also found this free Impulse loader by teragon: http://www.teragon.org/Teragon_Audio/Main/Entries/2008/5/11_Convolver-v2a3.html

I'm not sure if it has a built in latency or not, but it's worth a shot. I gave it a try and it sounded just as good as boogex. I think it's quite odd that boogex is dropping out on you, maybe you could quickly download reaper (Only approx 3mb) and see if boogex drops out in that, perhaps Sonar 6 XL dosen't like boogex (long shot though).