Cable question

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
I need to make some speaker cables for a friends bar. 2 mains 2 subs . Need cables for them. He asked if its possible to use electric wire cause he has some. I instantly said no cant do that, but really couldn't explain why, and I got wondering if it actually does matter that much. What would be the major downsides to using thick gauge electric cord. Say a commercial appliance cord or a heavy duty extension cord? I have a basic understanding of cables but always just bought the proper cables and never put much thought into it. Any insight on the downsides if there is any. Obviously the advantage is we have connectors/ends already so it would be cheap to do. Cheers guys

Taken from Google;

- The main difference between the construction of an instrument cable or a speaker cable is that an instrument cable is shielded, whereas a speaker cable is not. This is due to each cable's purpose and function.

You can definitely use electrical wire but it needs to be stranded and not solid or you're going to have a bad time. For speaker I'd never use less than 16ga but if you're planning on keeping it for a long time you may as well spring for 12ga.

Do extra conductor wires (grounds etc.) have a negative affect? Went with purchased cables, but still curious about this for the future or perhaps extras like stage monitors etc. Cheers guys