Caligula's Horse

Crazy Booduh

May 19, 2009
I just found out about these guys from Metal Sucks' "Unsigned and Unholy" column. Fantastic prog metal. All clean vox on this one but instrumentally can be pretty heavy as well as soft.

Buy it here, name your price!
http://samvallen.com/album/moments-from-ephemeral-city

Here's the bio from their bandcamp page:

"Caligula's Horse started life as a solo project for Quandary guitarist Sam Vallen to express the heavier side of his musical personality. The project started in early 2010 while Quandary was on a writing hiatus whilst recording their debut album Ready To Fail. Sam began writing music without the context of Quandary's musical framework to guide him; delving into music that was heavier and more guitar centric, with an emphasis on studio production and layering. The music took an intentionally modern form, incorporating influences as diverse as Frost*, Steely Dan, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend and Porcupine Tree.

Enter vocalist Jim Grey from progressive metal band Arcane. Once combined, the bipolarity of Sam's music, and the dynamics and expression of Jim's vocal created a musical invention much greater than it's constituent components; highly melodic music of powerful mood and depth with strong, memorable hooks and intense, technical instrumental performance.

Caligula's Horse released their debut album Moments From Ephemeral City in April 2011.

Caligula's Horse have since evolved beyond a one-man project into a live-ready band with the addition of co-guitarist Zac Greensill, bassist and vocalist Dave Couper and drummer Geoff Irish."

Yeah, unfortunate but true. I really prefer buying actual CDs but if it's download only I still feel I have to show my support by throwing some dollars their way.

Hey Ken - looks like these guys have moved to physical copies now. They sent me a free copy of it as a thank you for downloading their digital album. You might want to try and get in touch with them. This CD is definitely in my top 5 for the year and I'd like to see more from them!

Hey Ken - looks like these guys have moved to physical copies now. They sent me a free copy of it as a thank you for downloading their digital album. You might want to try and get in touch with them. This CD is definitely in my top 5 for the year and I'd like to see more from them!

They didn't do that for me!!!:yell: