Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Callenish Circle-Forbidden Empathy
Candlelight Records-CDL164-January 25, 2005
By Josh Phillips

CC.jpg

It’s amazing how a band can elude you. Callenish Circle originally formed in 1992, releasing their first full-length Drift of Empathy in 1996. Certainly veterans to the scene, it’s funny how they’ve slipped under the radar for me. But now, with Forbidden Empathy, they’ve captured my full attention, and deservedly so. Forbidden Empathy is a collection of Callenish Circle's early recordings, including a few demo songs, but don’t expect normal demo quality music. This is good stuff, something you would expect a band at their peak to release and definitely something to look into for any melodic death fan. Included is the band’s only demo, Lovelorn ,which sold all of its 1000 copies and Forbidden Empathy is not only a great way to access these early songs for die hard fans, but also a great starting place for all new fans.

Aside from Lovelorn this compilation also contains the Escape EP and two full-length releases, Drift of Empathy and Graceful…Yet Forbidding. Spanning two discs and almost 2 and a half hours of music, Forbidden Empathy is an unbeatable collection to chronicle the career of Callenish Circle.

The first disc is 15 tracks, 68 minutes long and is the entirety of the Graceful…Yet Forbidding release. The last four of these songs also make up the Escape EP. Aggressive when it needs to be, calm and thoughtful at other times, Callenish Circle is able to find a mix of melodic serenity and mind bending solos. The vocals are a blend of low growls and higher screeches, laced together through the songs and album. Track 5, “Broken”, even offers some soaring clean vocals to add extra emotion. The songs are all consistent and good, but most people will not be able to sit through the entire disc. Make sure you separate the songs into their respective releases, both on this disc and the next, and you’ll be better equipped to explore what Callenish Circle has to offer without losing interest.

The second disc features work from Drift of Empathy and the demo Lovelorn. This one clocks in at almost 77 minutes of music on 14 tracks, most of it in the same vein as the later releases on the other disc, but with a dirtier production and overall sound. Once again, a good job lacing heavy passages with slow sections and always catchy guitar playing. Powerful vocals and constant melodic runs, make this release both fun and thoughtful.

Essentially, if you’re tired of the direction many melodic death metal bands have taken over the last few years and just want to hear the music played the way it should sound, then Callenish Circle will be a treat. They play melodic death metal right, and add a little bit of a mystical and even epic feel at times that makes the music unique. Forbidden Empathy is an excellent way for current Callenish Circle fans to add on to or complete their collection and should hold them over until the new full-length is released. For new fans such as myself, this is a fabulous way to be introduced to the band and as I’ve stated, this release contains so much music that I will be content for a very long time exploring what this band has to offer. I also have to commend the label and band for releasing so much material and pricing it at the cost of a normal CD. Now fans can explore the majority of this band’s back catalogue without having to buy the normal $40 box set.

On a final note, melodic death metal is a love or hate thing with most people, but I encourage anyone to look into this release and see what this band has to offer. It might change your mind a little bit, similar to what Arsis did to many just this last year. A lot of music from a range of releases packed onto two discs and ready for fans new and old to experience. Solid stuff, recommended.

8.5/10

Official Callenish Circle Website
Official Candlelight USA Website