Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
CALLENISH CIRCLE - MY PASSION // YOUR PAIN
Metal Blade - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

CallenishCircle-My-Passion-.gif

When I first received this new album by Callenish Circle I seriously thought that they were just going to be another run-of-the-mill melodic death metal band but upon the first listen I was quickly proven wrong. Callenish Cirlce does not break new ground or do anything totally different from a band of this genre but what they do is play with intensity, with emotion and to borrow from the album's title with "passion".

First of all you will not notice any clean singing. Vocalist Patrick Savelkoul is aggressive with his screaming and he has no need to "experiment" with a singing voice since it would sound so ridiculous with the music. He even adds low death metal growls in "What Could Have Been..." The band has been able to add a bit of an industrial touch in the way the drums and guitar riffs sounds and joined by the melodic solos and leads it definitely blends itself to a very potent mix. My Passion // Your Pain sounds heavier than other bands in the genre and that is where I hear the industrial punch. Listening to the beginning parts of "Forsaken" is totally awesome because of the solo but the good thing is that it does not dominate the sound rather it complements the rhythm. The band is melodic but not for the sake of being melodic. Whenever there is a lead or solo you can equally hear the complementing rhythm and I definitely enjoy that. "Soul Messiah" (with some great drumming) and "My Hate Unfolds" are two other favorites of mine and check out the samples from the movie "American Psycho" at the beginning and at the end of the latter song.

It is always good to hear a band rise above the mediocrity of the genre and Callenish Circle is definitely one of those bands. Fans of the genre should definitely give My Passion // Your Pain a listen.

Metal Blade Website
Callenish Circle Official Website

I agrree this album is a work of art. And yes it would have been ruined by clean vocals. I played this cd at my friends house and he hated it but then again he hates anything that an't creed. So that tells you this cd is a one of a kind.

6 out of 10.