Calling all Peavey Triple XXX owners! I need your help!

onetruth

Apr 21, 2006
Worcester, UK
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

I've been a proud owner of a Peavey XXX head for the past 8 years and in that time i've only had a couple of small issues with this beast of an amp.....I blew a fuse at a show which sucked but was easily fixable and had a couple of valves go at the worst times. But in general all has been fine.....until now!!

About a month ago my footswitch stopped working properly. I can switch from whichever overdrive channel i'm on to the clean channel using the centre button on the footswitch, but the button which switches between the ultra and crunch channels doesn't work. Nor does the FX loop button. annoying!! so to any xxx users reading this i ask the question.....have you experienced this same issue? as i've spotted a couple of posts on the net with users having similar footswitch issues so made me wonder if this is a common problem? the weird thing is that ive had the footswitch and cable tested by an amp repair centre and they couldn't find anything wrong with it!!

so i decided to fuck the footswitch off as i only use 1 channel most of the time anyway.....then 2 weeks ago, the volume of my amp dropped by half during a rehearsal. I checked the back of the amp and spotted one of the power amp valves glowing bright purple whereas the other 3 had a nice gentle orange glow......FUCK! rang watford valves who kindly sent me another el34 to replace it and i was back in business!! but only for a few days :(

had another rehearsal and the amp was doing great.....making my drummers ears bleed always brings me some satisfaction :D but then after an hour, the volume started dropping until after a couple of minutes, i could get no sound out of it at all. the lights are on but no-one is home. borrowed a friends marshall head to make sure it wasn't cables, guitar, cab, pedals etc and that worked fine so its definitely the head. has anyone had this problem with a xxx or any other amp before? any advice would be brilliant!!

i've taken the amp to my local amp fix-it guru so fingers crossed he'll figure it out but thought i'd canvas opinions from you guys too just in case he can't fix it.

cheers!

Had a similar problem on my JSX, just clean the FX loop jacks with a cable and some electrical contact cleaner and put the cable going from send to return and it should be back to working order. I believe this is a common problem with Peavey amps.