Can Acoustics effect D.I. tracks?

abaga129

The Apprentice
I'm curious as to whether or not acoustics have any effect on electric guitar/bass DI's. I know that pickups have a very short range but I know there have been times where I have had a guitar on and started hearing myself talk through the amp.

Mainly I'm just wondering because the room that I record my guitar tracks in is an acoustic hell full of nasty reflections and weird flutter effects.

Cheers :kickass:

Acoustics don't directly affect the D.I. signal. Pickups can be slightly microphonic, which is why you can hear yourself through the amp. But I've never encountered a situation where the room noticeably affected the D.I. track in any way.

Do be aware that a microphonic pickup can pick up things like the click track if they're loud enough in the room, so if you're concerned with it just use some headphones when you track and you should be fine.

Do be aware that a microphonic pickup can pick up things like the click track if they're loud enough in the room, so if you're concerned with it just use some headphones when you track and you should be fine.

Actually I had experienced that my bass received part of drum track/ click track from headphones. :D Some kind I've prevented this problem for these days.

Acoustics don't directly affect the D.I. signal. Pickups can be slightly microphonic, which is why you can hear yourself through the amp. But I've never encountered a situation where the room noticeably affected the D.I. track in any way.

That's kinda what I figured but i thought it would be an interesting topic to bring up :D

I strongly suggest being in the same room as a real amp when tracking DI's. The feel is just "there" and sometimes the feedback of room resonances hit the guitar just the right way to let those big chords scream. Not to mention the sustain boost.