A Perfect Circle - The Hollow effect?

wankerness

Dec 3, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
I have always wondered what effect is being used on the lead guitar on the verses of A Perfect Circle's song "The Hollow." It's really bizarre and sounds kind of like a synthesizer with some kind of phase shifter, but I know it's guitar. Any ideas on what they did? I think I read that they used Line 6 stuff for all the guitar sounds (and this was recorded back in 98) so I'm sure some of you pod users can figure it out!

I'm also curious about the lead on the chorus (the second half of this mp3) - it has a weird sound to it that reminds me of a wind instrument. It's not nearly as strange as the verse effects, but I'm curious as to what he used there too. Sorry if both of these are really obvious or something, I'm not exactly an effects master (obviously :D).

Here's a sample of the sounds in question:

http://www.emotears.com/~wankerness/hollow.mp3

The lead on the chorus is just guitar - sounds exactly the same live, and he was using a Marshall when I saw them (I've got some live videos from TV shows and it's Marshall there too). Lots of delay and reverb, as with most of that album.

No idea about the verse part, but it's definitely studio trickery - live he just plays it as an arpeggio with yet more delay and reverb.

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
The lead on the chorus is just guitar - sounds exactly the same live, and he was using a Marshall when I saw them (I've got some live videos from TV shows and it's Marshall there too). Lots of delay and reverb, as with most of that album.

No idea about the verse part, but it's definitely studio trickery - live he just plays it as an arpeggio with yet more delay and reverb.

Steve

Speaking of APC live, I think they put on a really great live show. It was a really fun expierience when I went. I liked the way they had the musicians set up on stage and they played really well. (Josh Freese is fantastic) as well as playing all my favorite songs except The Rose.

d0h! ring modulator, thats what i meant by downsampling, but i couldnt get the terms (or technique) right. thanks for the gentle clarification.

Ring modulator? I've never heard of that, I'll have to look into it. Do you know any other examples of songs that use that effect (I don't think it's on any other APC songs...)? I think it sounds pretty slick.

Billy, what effect are you using on that intervallic figure in the verse of “Hollow”?
Howerdel: The effect on that arpeggio thing? It was GRM Tools, a TDM plug-in for Pro Tools. I recorded it with four different settings and put them all together in four different passes. That riff evolves over time. Trying to duplicate that live has always been tricky. I used a bunch of things in the Fractal to simulate it. There’s a filter I’m sweeping, a ring mod, and a delay with an Octavia pedal in front.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19970-a-perfect-circle-another-round-for-billy-howerdel-and-james-iha?page=3

Necrobump applies when there's no sense to reply a message. Even if old, this info could be useful to someone. So STFU and keep moving ;)

Necrobump applies when there's no sense to reply a message. Even if old, this info could be useful to someone. So STFU and keep moving ;)

Jesus calm down everyone. No need to get all defensive. It is funny it took 8 years to get a real answer on this though :lol:

I've wondered about that a time or two. I have the tab book for that record and it said to use a ring modulator, and that's what I'd thought it was. Cool to know. Damn good record.