Request for help identifying the studio technique/effect used on this lead guitar..

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Help!

If you have a moment spare I'd massively appreciate some guidance on this. Have a listen to (easier to hear what I'm on about on headphones too in HQ mode). I'm referring to about 2:59 when the fast lead kicks in (and the bends before it too I think).

Is this stereo delay being used? Or reverb or some kind or doubler?

I think it's stereo delay on a mono source but not 100% certain. The lead passage sounds spread over both left and right speakers almost as if it has been double tracked and panner L and R respectively...

I've been experimenting with 100% wet stereo double delay in Cubase on an FX send but I tend to end up still with a real loud centralised lead guitar with the echo sounding a tad unsatisfactory. Where am I going wrong?

Another good example of the effect I'm referring to I stumbled across at 2:59 as well. :lol:

It's driving me mad!

I have a track on my band MySpace, the "dead" song three quarters through at 5:49 (after the twin leads) is about as good as I've been able to get so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just double track a unison bend, with one side being even fingerpicked and one with a regular pick. Experiment with the performance to get the kinda psychedelic sound you want.

I do this kinda thing a lot and you can get real spaced out sounds just by thinking like a delay. Real hard to explain I guess.

I am someone who shys away from effects however. I'm not real good at delay usage in the first place

take it or leave it, but that's my idea

Indeed...double tracking is the answer (Devildriver FX).

If you want to make your leads more wider and to de-centralise them, send your mono lead channel to a stereo fx-channel with a modulation-type fx (chorus etc). Use high depth and low rate on the effect and be carefull with the amount of send.

For this I always tend to use Waves doubler loaded with the preset "vocal doubler", with the right amount of send you'll get so pretty good results.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=246

Are you sure double tracking is the same thing used on that Evile song? That solo seems too fast to be precisely double-tracked... Couldn't them be the same take doubled (copied) and with some dalay in one of them?

Are you sure double tracking is the same thing used on that Evile song? That solo seems too fast to be precisely double-tracked... Couldn't them be the same take doubled (copied) and with some dalay in one of them?

I wondered about this too, it seems incredibly fast to be double tracked.

[quote="Evil" Aidy;8630615]I wondered about this too, it seems incredibly fast to be double tracked.[/quote]
And also those kind of solos tend to be improvised. I don't imagine the guy writing down "ok, so I repeat this 3 notes 28 times at 240 bpm, then this like, then 26 times" etc

Yeah I've been playing around with double delay and a Voxengo Delay plugin too - both sound pretty close.

I guess I can never be sure of the exact method used unless Andy Sneap or Russ Russell drops in and comments on the thread :lol:

Actually, that sounds WAY to precise to be double tracked.

What I always did for this effect is this:

-Record the solo in stereo

-Split the stereo Track

-Pan one track left, and one right

-Time shift ONE of them forward by like... .1 milliseconds, and you'll begin to hear this effect.. The farther you move it, the more the effect will take place.

... Of course you could do this by recording it in mono and copy and pasting the track and doing the same exact thing.

Running a lead guitar to Kjaerhus Classic (Stereo) Reverb and fiddling with the pre-delay sounds pretty close to both vids I posted, as does the time shifting thing with copying and pasting tracks.

Awesome!

:kickass:

i say its double tracked.
its not TOO fast
its not complicated if you jam it a few times
if the guy wrote it
im sure hes comfortable enough to play it twice with a click