Can anyone clarify this please?

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out to clarify this article on the Proximity Effect. I’m trying to understand it fully but there are some things I’m not sure I understood correctly.

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)

Basically, what I think it’s saying is that the frequency response change with an increase in low frequencies is due to the larger phase differences at high frequencies due to the reflections to the rear of the diaphragm since higher frequencies include more crests and troughs in a path length resulting in more phase difference.

However, I don’t understand why such an emphasis on the amplitude pressure differences was made. It said that there are differences between the front and the back of the diaphragm which is pretty logical, explained further with the inverse square law. However, at close distances it said that these pressure differences were negligible if I understood correctly, so am I right in my understanding that at close distances, although the pressure is increasing with minimal pressure difference, the higher frequencies suffer from phase effects resulting in the lower ones to be more dominant?

I have a strong feeling that I am wrong. Can anyone please help me out as I’ve been trying to make sense of it but with a strong sensation that I am way off the mark in my understanding.

Thanks in advance!

" I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies!" :lol: *

In all seriousness, all I know is if I get my 57 too close to my cabs speaker, it sounds muddy and boomy!

LOL.

And seriously...moving the mic closer = more boooom. Moving the mic further back = less booom. Don't over think it (unless you're studying for an acoustics/physics engineering test).

The thing is I'm compiling a personal handbook with all the basic information that I've learned till now from the nature of sound to processors and acoustics but some of my notes and information are either too short or too vague and this site, having given me so much information, is perfect to get the answer from those who know.

Tell me about it. I compiled an "Encyclopedia" of information into a giant text file. When I first found this forum, I went through all the archives and started copy/pasting things. Still adding things to it today. :) Love this forum!

LOL.

And seriously...moving the mic closer = more boooom. Moving the mic further back = less booom. Don't over think it (unless you're studying for an acoustics/physics engineering test).

Hole in one.
No need to think about it so hard.