Can anyone point me toward some Sonar tutorials?

how exactly do you need to use midi in sonar. The midi works is not that intense, its pretty simple.

midi track open, drag the track open sp you can see the parameters, such as I/O The input would be the channel of your external keyboard, if set to omni it will be all channels. if you don;t use a keyboard then you wont have to worry about it. Output will have all the available places the midi can go, if you have a VSTi open in your DXi window the input channel for that DXi/VSTi will be available. select the channel you want to write in and up in the toolbar there will be a tab that says piano roll and it will have a sequencer/tab/roll thing so visualizes the midi. In the file/import/midi you can import midi filessaved from say Guitar pro or other midi. Unfortunately you cannot export midi out from sonar, a real stupid move n their part.

really there isn't much to the sonar's midi function than that, midi can be used for anything, including drums synths whatever that can generate a sound. IF you need some advaced help i can help, i use the midi in sonar to the fullest on a regular basis.