Can NOT get this mix to commecial volume... help?

Jul 7, 2009
EDIT:: Updated mix - http://www.box.net/shared/2yin5c07qr

Hey guys,

I'm mixing this track for a band, and I'm having a hard time getting it to an acceptable level without crushing the mix. Going for an Acacia Strain/For the Fallen Dreams mix.

http://www.box.net/shared/oansrrzhdl

Help?

My chain:

ReaEQ
ReaXComp (multiband compressor)
Reaper's J:LOSER/masterLimiter (to catch peaks)
ReaComp (more compression, 1db reduction for glue)
EventHorizon (3db softclip with Threshold at -1db and ceiling at -0.1db)
EventHorizon (another 3db softclip with Threshold at -1db and ceiling at -0.1db)
Reaper's J:LOSER/masterLimiter (-1db Threshold with ceiling at -0.1db)

Also, the guitars are the LePou Lecto with the s-preshigh impulse. First time using this combo so it's been rough getting used to it.

Thanks guys,

Trevor

Oh, really? Is it clipping bad? Cause on their myspace it clips like a mother...

EDIT: Spelled commercial wrong in the title, fail.

Alright is it lacking bass guitar or kick or both?

And is it just me or is there some weird stuff happening with pumping cymbals in the part that starts at 1:11ish? More overheads needed maybe?

You might try Slate FG-X. Sometimes when you stack so many different comps/clippers/limiters you can get some weird smearing of the mix. I find maybe a 2buss comp (if I need color) followed by FGX (the fgx comp is very transparent) is all I need to get it loud and not mess with the mix.

That shit is more than commercial level but It really lacks of low-end. That's the problem.

As for the master chain I would advice to go with this one:
GClip
ReaComp
W1 Limiter

That's what I use and it works really well.
Don't mess with things that much..

Sounds like a bit of pumping going on in parts man.. Does the GR in the comps and limiters vary much between parts?

Well it's definitely not equal GR the whole song, can jump between .5 and 1.5 on some of the plugins...

Indeed plenty loud enough, but lacking some bass guitar.

Is it lacking kick too or just bass?

You might try Slate FG-X. Sometimes when you stack so many different comps/clippers/limiters you can get some weird smearing of the mix. I find maybe a 2buss comp (if I need color) followed by FGX (the fgx comp is very transparent) is all I need to get it loud and not mess with the mix.

Is the demo cripple-free or is it a must-buy to use all the features?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

That shit is more than commercial level but It really lacks of low-end. That's the problem.

GClip
ReaComp
W1 Limiter

The more compressors you have on the master, the more likely the whole will mix smear instead of glue. Get your loudness from the mix, not meaning keep the faders hot or anything, just balance it and use a simple master chain like Random's up there for loudness. Unless you dig that pumpy business, which is cool too.

GClip
ReaComp
W1 Limiter

This is exactly what I use and it works well but I still seem to have issues.

I think my problem lies in my overall mix.

You want a sort of slow attack and slower release on the comp, right? And when I start decreasing the threshold of the W1, the Master will eventually start to sound like shit and be hitting the red.

Actually ReaComp alone will work pretty good.
Just a little compression and limiting until it gets a little farther to red.

reacomp.jpg

And ofc if the mix sounds like shit by itself, mastering will fix nothing.

Actually ReaComp alone will work pretty good.
Just a little compression and limiting until it gets a little farther to red.

reacomp.jpg

And ofc if the mix sounds like shit by itself, mastering will fix nothing.

But when I limit that hard that my Master hits red, the mix sounds sounds like shitty clipping. Sorry, don't mean to hijack here.

sounds plenty loud, but are the right panned guitars lower in volume?

I sure hope not! Lol no they are not... I don't hear that either, maybe it's your monitoring setup? Can anyone else confirm this? They are exactly the same level with same tone settings and are showing similar output in REAPER as well... weird. Thanks for the heads up though in case this is true!

Your problem is not VOLUME. Its Percieved volume. Because there is no low end to carry the mix it sounds Low in volume. It almost sounds as if everything in the mix is high passed at 100hz or so. You have NO subs going on.

Fix your EQ settings and you will notice a BIG difference.

There is a HUGE difference between actual and perceived volume. Dont use your meters at a reference, use your ears! You can have 1 mix that is at -6 RMS and another that is at -10 RMS and the one at -10 can seem vastly LOUDER then the one at -6 if the low end is bigger.

Audio production is all about using YOUR EAR and not presets and OMG THIS MIX HAS TO SIT THIS LOUD IN ORDER TO BE GOOD ... Fuck all that jazz. Do what sounds good to YOU and go with it. Thats how you develop your own sound and style.