Can NOT get this mix to commecial volume... help?

Your problem is not VOLUME. Its Percieved volume. Because there is no low end to carry the mix it sounds Low in volume. It almost sounds as if everything in the mix is high passed at 100hz or so. You have NO subs going on.

Fix your EQ settings and you will notice a BIG difference.

There is a HUGE difference between actual and perceived volume. Dont use your meters at a reference, use your ears! You can have 1 mix that is at -6 RMS and another that is at -10 RMS and the one at -10 can seem vastly LOUDER then the one at -6 if the low end is bigger.

Audio production is all about using YOUR EAR and not presets and OMG THIS MIX HAS TO SIT THIS LOUD IN ORDER TO BE GOOD ... Fuck all that jazz. Do what sounds good to YOU and go with it. Thats how you develop your own sound and style.

This was perfect advice, thanks so much to everyone! I think this one is much better, it is less crushed and much more low end.

http://www.box.net/shared/2yin5c07qr

Opinions? Is the pumping gone? Sounds like it to me! Gotta turn this mix in to the band tomorrow and it's one of those that I'm just ready to be done with it so I can hand it over and stop stressing over it! :)

Thanks again, this forum is great!

Trevor

Even just a bump in the lows in the Master EQ could make it sound tons better...
Your updated mix still doesn't have near enough bass.
Almost painful to listen to because its so harsh.

Ok this is weird... everytime I export the track from REAPER then play it in iTunes the low end is slightly less loud. Like the lows are hella loud in REAPER (even the old, harsh versions), but I just boost it anyway and export and the total volume has been knocked back a notch and sounds ok. What's up with that? Is it a setting or something that I'm missing?

EDIT: I have had a "bass reducer" equalizer on in iTunes for some time now. FML. Fixed.