Can someone help me getting workable guitar tone with plugins?

CLA_Who?

Hobbit
Dec 20, 2013
STHLM
Don't know if anyone could help me out or would want to... Tried asking some folks at gearslutz, they just said "use a real amp"! Sooo. :zzz: So I found this site and maybe more people are helpful here. Didn't know where to post this, so sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

I have zero experience with amp plugins. The best clips I've heard are with Lepou plugins and Catharsis impulse. But when I try... the guitars sounds like poop! So maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could be the reason maybe I play like shit!:D

I used to mic up a 2x12 cab where I lived before but there's no way for me to crank up the amp in my new apartment.

I'm at work right now so can't post any clips, will do later.

First thing is to get a good DI recording. If you with to exclude your playing, guitar or other recording gear from the equation then start with tweaking the ampsim on some of the "reference" DIs from this forum (for example http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/practice-room/569814-definitive-rose-sharyn-di-backing.html or http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...e-time05-kse-arms-sorrow-23-di-files-fun.html). Second is to understand that ampsims + impulses usually need more post-processing than the real deal. Most of the time I find myself using several notches to cut out the fizz in the high mids. Third is not to judge the tone by listening to your guitar soloed. Experiment with mixing several ampsims for different guitar tracks and using some VST pedal emulations in front of them.

Don't know if anyone could help me out or would want to... Tried asking some folks at gearslutz, they just said "use a real amp"! Sooo. :zzz: So I found this site and maybe more people are helpful here. Didn't know where to post this, so sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

I have zero experience with amp plugins. The best clips I've heard are with Lepou plugins and Catharsis impulse. But when I try... the guitars sounds like poop! So maybe I'm doing something wrong. Could be the reason maybe I play like shit!:D

I used to mic up a 2x12 cab where I lived before but there's no way for me to crank up the amp in my new apartment.

I'm at work right now so can't post any clips, will do later.

SO, i have to say (as generic as this is) i really love working with Pod Farm, the visuals help and really help me get an idea of how or what i want to put in my pod farm chain, noise gates - Compressors- all that stuff, do you have pod farm at your disposal? i could send you a little chain i'm currently working on.