Can someone quickly check this DI for me ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I have a simple problem : I think my ESP SV Standard in EMGs has a little issue with the circuitry. It seems really attenuated, but only in volume.

I threw a few quick notes, can someone reamp this quickly comparing it to another DI of his own EMG81/85 or 89 clip or even directly by playing along with it to confirm it ?

It's my only guitar where I am and I don't have DI files to compare it to, and I don't know if I'm being tired cause it doesn't sound "that" weird while playing chords, just as if I had volume around 2/10.

I only has a volume knob, that I let at full, and a switch between the 81/85.

It's not a battery issue since I've removed it and it sounds even weaker, and another new one does the same sound.

I remember a few months ago I noticed the 81 sometimes went weaker.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/lesedna_di.wav

Played on the EMG81.

So do you confirm there is a pb ? If yes, I don't think it's a bad issue, do you have an idea why if you had encountered the same pb ? I don't have a multimeter to check precisely.

The signal is a bit weaker than my 81's that I just compared it to. Now if you push up the fader on the DI and get it peaking out at around -6, it sounds how it should. (your DI is peaking at -18)

Thank you wolfeman, that's why I was thinking. Hum so it sounds normal but really lower. I dunno if something as happened to my volume knob or something. Has it happened to some of you ?

Okay I think I have figured it out.

I have a profire 2626 which comes like this :

http://www.seattleaudiophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Profire2626-big.jpg

and I usually plug in the first front jack IN. But since I have now installed in a new place, I have my profire on my desk and therefore I found it easier to have the jack plugged in the back, in the IN number 1. But there is around 10 dB of difference between both (and I checked I have the mic/inst switched to "instrument"). Do you have a quick explanatation while I'm searching my profire docs ? Is that something usual in the interfaces ?

I'm reading :

eight XLR mic inputs with phantom power
eight 1/4 TRS balanced inputs
two 1/4 TS balanced inputs

So I guess this is why there is a difference. I wasn't aware there were a difference between my inputs. I'm now lurking for some info on internet, if you have some quick explanation i'm up for it.

C'est normal. Devant c'est une entrée haute impédance (pour les instruments, comme si tu utilisais une DI), mais derrière c'est des entrées ligne.

Front: Hi-z
Back: Line

(answering in english for other ppl :) )

yeah I just figured that out, I thought all inputs were HiZ because they are all labelled "mic/line" but was reading in my mind, stupidly "mic/inst" like my brain wanted it to be.
I think I have to get back to sleeping today :)

Thanks both of you