Can this be true?

Oh this is just wonderful. What's next "Deicide on tour with, Britney Spears"? Man, now it's time for a bitchfest.

Cum41 do NOT deserve a tour with, Iron Maiden. Just because those little jackasses claim to be "HUGE" Maiden fans does not mean they should be on a tour with them. How many awesome underground metal bands, that love Maiden to death, are going unnoticed by..... Maiden? It's ridiculous. Hell, let's take Iced Earth for example. Jon Schaffer fuckin' loves Maiden, he's been a fan since day 1 and yet a band of 4 or 5 little fuck turds who probably got into Maiden a few years ago are getting the chance to go on tour with them? This whole thing makes me sick.

Speaking of Cum41, those little ass clowns admitted that they don't care to much for Emo Punk (or "Pop Punk", "Nu Punk", "New Age Punk", "High School Punk", "Teen Punk", "Shit", whatever you wanna call it). The only reason these jerk-off's are playing this style of poseur punk is because it's a great money maker. They "love" metal, but won't play it because it won't make them money.

"Rock, it's what we live for" is a very false statement for them to make. They live for the money, not for the music. They sicken me. I know everyone needs money, but they sold their metal souls for pure, stinky shit. Their claims of "metal loving" is just as bad as Rage Against the Machine whinning about Corporate America while at they same time, being sponsered by a corporate label.

Also, I don't know about some of you guys, but I'd rather Maiden didn't get a new, younger fanbase, simply because I don't wanna have to put up with some little shit claiming to be a huge, Maiden fan but at the same time thinks they're a "new and upcoming band". A lot of young kids now-a-days like that nu metal bullshit and if they start getting into some underground bands, those underground bands might end up a shitty, nu metal band. I don't wanna see great bands pulling an In Flames.

Let's keep metal underground. You know what's gonna happen to these nu metal bands in a few years? They'll die out and once that happens, they'll either break up or try adopting to the new sound. Happened to glam rock and some thrash. So I guess the question really is -- would you rather be in the mainstream and eventually die or stay in the underground and live forever?

::pHEW:: Ok, my bitchfest is complete.... for now.

Originally posted by SinsOfTheFathers

Also, I don't know about some of you guys, but I'd rather Maiden didn't get a new, younger fanbase, simply because I don't wanna have to put up with some little shit claiming to be a huge, Maiden fan but at the same time thinks they're a "new and upcoming band".

I echoed the same sentiments on my webzine forum after I saw this thread here - if this concert happens, it could be one of the biggest blots on the metal landscape. To be honest, I think that some of these older bands like Maiden are finishing up now and probably thinking about retirement in the next five years. I don't think Maiden have more than 2 or 3 quality albums left in them (at most).

So with that in mind, I would have so much more respect for Maiden if they played out their remaining years to the fans who put them on the map, and not a bunch of new kids on the block who happened to catch them at a Sum 41 show.

If younger fans want to see Maiden for who they are, then look to their music, and not the bands they tour with. I wonder how many Sum 41 fans have even heard Powerslave or Killers?

Originally posted by SinsOfTheFathers
Also, I don't know about some of you guys, but I'd rather Maiden didn't get a new, younger fanbase, simply because I don't wanna have to put up with some little shit claiming to be a huge, Maiden fan but at the same time thinks they're a "new and upcoming band". A lot of young kids now-a-days like that nu metal bullshit and if they start getting into some underground bands, those underground bands might end up a shitty, nu metal band. I don't wanna see great bands pulling an In Flames.

I gotta take a bit of an objection to this. I only got into Maiden just over three years ago, a few days before my 14th birthday. Sadly, not all of us had the privilege of being born in the olden days so we could catch a band like Maiden from the beginning and so be true fans :rolleyes: I will speak for myself now, and tell you that when I got into Maiden three years ago they turned the way I saw and enjoyed music around on my head, and I turned from liking them to loving them soon after. Now I got all but one of the albums (don't think I need Live At Donnington...) on CD and all the 80s ones again on LP. I have collected at least half the singles and started buying them on every format from The Wicker Man. I got Eddie's Archive, their posters cover my bedroom walls, I got the shirts, action figures, allsorts. There's the material shit to try and prove I'm a fan, but we know that what counts is all in the mind. I'm one of those kids you'll find that 'claims' to be a huge fan, fact is that I damn sure feel like one, and ain't no-one that can take that away.
You might find it applies to other kids you might find too. Some kids maybe only just got into Maiden - we all find bands at different times, after all - and got the fire but maybe just not all the albums yet. Time will tell if they give up halfway through, or stick with it because they are a true fan. You don't know if they will unless you give 'em a chance.
Fact is, you always get posers with every band who only stick with 'em while their new single's in the charts. I remember when The Wicker Man came out, I had some people coming up to me saying "Hey, I like Iron Maiden, I like The Wicker Man!". Funnily enough, when Out Of The Silent Planet was released as a single, I asked one of these people if they'd heard it and all I got was a "No". But after that, there's kids a good few years younger than me that I talk to who like new bands as well as Iron Maiden, and I got more faith in these kids than the previous posers I mentioned. I'd rather encourage these kids to listen to some great quality, timeless shit than say "I don't want you in my favourite band's fanbase"

I have another comment but my doorbell just rang. I will see you all tomorrow. Hope you understand my ramble...

Just to clarify from my side, I have no objection to younger fans - far from it. Indeed I would like to see a new generation to continue the support, although Maiden are most likely on the verge of finishing up.

I do object, however, to the money marketing scheme that puts bands like Sum 41 in support of bands like Iron Maiden who are now perhaps looking to make a quick buck before they retire, or go off to fly planes for a living. There are a hundred other bands that are more worthy of a support slot, so this is a financially driven decision.

Notice how Megadeth went through this same pattern before their demise....re-releases, compilations, live videos, crappy albums, shitty support bands, more compilation albums. It was all premeditated, and I notice a certain similarity going on....

Originally posted by Ayeka
I gotta take a bit of an objection to this. I only got into Maiden just over three years ago, a few days before my 14th birthday. Sadly, not all of us had the privilege of being born in the olden days so we could catch a band like Maiden from the beginning and so be true fans :rolleyes: I will speak for myself now, and tell you that when I got into Maiden three years ago they turned the way I saw and enjoyed music around on my head, and I turned from liking them to loving them soon after. Now I got all but one of the albums (don't think I need Live At Donnington...) on CD and all the 80s ones again on LP. I have collected at least half the singles and started buying them on every format from The Wicker Man. I got Eddie's Archive, their posters cover my bedroom walls, I got the shirts, action figures, allsorts. There's the material shit to try and prove I'm a fan, but we know that what counts is all in the mind. I'm one of those kids you'll find that 'claims' to be a huge fan, fact is that I damn sure feel like one, and ain't no-one that can take that away.
You might find it applies to other kids you might find too. Some kids maybe only just got into Maiden - we all find bands at different times, after all - and got the fire but maybe just not all the albums yet. Time will tell if they give up halfway through, or stick with it because they are a true fan. You don't know if they will unless you give 'em a chance.
Fact is, you always get posers with every band who only stick with 'em while their new single's in the charts. I remember when The Wicker Man came out, I had some people coming up to me saying "Hey, I like Iron Maiden, I like The Wicker Man!". Funnily enough, when Out Of The Silent Planet was released as a single, I asked one of these people if they'd heard it and all I got was a "No". But after that, there's kids a good few years younger than me that I talk to who like new bands as well as Iron Maiden, and I got more faith in these kids than the previous posers I mentioned. I'd rather encourage these kids to listen to some great quality, timeless shit than say "I don't want you in my favourite band's fanbase"

I have another comment but my doorbell just rang. I will see you all tomorrow. Hope you understand my ramble...

Yes but you know that Iron Maiden aren't a "new" band. I was talking about the mindless kids who think Maiden are new, not knowing that they've been around since the 70's.

My pal, Ryan, the vocalist of Knights of Tethys had to put up with a few kids like that. He's a huge Maiden fan and he was wearing one of their shirts. A group of nu metal kids approached him and said "Maiden are awesome. They're a great new band". How pathetic. Needless to say, Ryan was pissed.

Then you have the poseur fans, like you mentioned. The ones who, a few years ago, insulted people who liked Maiden, but now that Mtv and the Radio are playing "Number of the Beast" and "Run to the Hills" like mad, they're all of a sudden fans.

I don't care if someone does start liking Maiden, but if they're going to be mindless fucks and not do at least a little research on the band, then they need to stick with their nu metal (or punk, pop, rap, whatever) stuff. When I first got into Manowar, I didn't run around claiming to be a huge fan. In 1 year though I did have a lot of their albums and some shirts but I still didn't claim to be a huge fan, not til I learned more about the band.

That's fair dos all the way. Don't like little posers fucks, no no no. But I do think little 'uns should be embranced into the fandom. But I know we understand each other clear as crystal now.... :)

There was a thing about Slipknot/In Flames I wanted to say yesterday...instead of seeing it as In Flames selling out, why isn't it seen as an opportunity for the Slipknot 'fans' (let's face it, how many will still be wearing the shirts in 12 months?!) to taste a taste of something good? Seeing as In Flames will probably never get played on TV or whatnot, this is a great opportunity for them to gain exposure. Even guys in underground bands need to eat too, y'know! :D

Finally, it probably is for the best that Metal remains underground so we aren't inundated by poser fans and swamped by third rate clone bands...but I must admit, I do have a hankering to be able to turn on the TV and see my music being played as the norm :cool: it would make life so much fun...

Originally posted by Ayeka
I must admit, I do have a hankering to be able to turn on the TV and see my music being played as the norm :cool: it would make life so much fun...

I always yearn for this too, but it's a double edged sword. If you get the underground stuff on tv...it no longer belongs to the underground, and it becomes mainstream....and then everything will eventually turn into Load/Reload or nuMetal rubbish.

But I know what you're saying. The 80's were quite remarkable when metal wasn't taboo. It was still underground but more people were into it, and magazines like Kerrang didn't put bands like Oasis and Bryan Adams on the front cover. I mean, 100,000 hardcore fans at Donnington '88?!! And how many people would Bloodstock pull nowadays? I guess if they want more people, they could ask Sum 41 to make an appearance. ;)

Originally posted by JayKeeley
But I know what you're saying. The 80's were quite remarkable when metal wasn't taboo. It was still underground but more people were into it, and magazines like Kerrang didn't put bands like Oasis and Bryan Adams on the front cover.

Well, they did put Mark Knopfler and Elton John on covers, but I'd sure prfer them to Eniminem and So fucking Solid Crew. Ok, maybe not of the covers, but when those guys are getting Single Of The Week it's disturbing...

I'd personally lend you my driving liscence if that was the case - Mind you! You'd probably have to wear a false beard and specs to look anything like me

The specs are no problem :cool: <------- that is me :D the beard I am working on :cry:

In Flames are played on Mtv 2

Once a fortnight, I'd expect.... :(