Can we please discuss

VangelicSurgeon

Three Star General
Jul 26, 2002
www.maudlinofthewell.com
Phantasm-DVD-UK.gif

Where the dead are no longer "that way"

There was a scene where the two main characters are in the garage and one of those jawa-type creatures is creeping around and step on a branch or something. So the one dude says "what was that?" adn the other dude says "Ahhh, musta been that retard down the street!"

Amazing.

i remember seeing this when i was much younger (probably the first one?) and i was totally mortified because this crazy ball like, drilled through this dude's head.

Oh, yeah. there is some sick stuff that goes down. I think one of them drills into a dudes mouth at one point (though that may have been Phantasm 2. The best part, for me, is the utter lack of an explanation as to what the hell is up with tall dude and his killer balls and jawas....

These movies were AWESOME when I was younger. I don't recall which one it is, but one of them has the intrepid investigators showing up at this abandoned town. On the outskirts is this weird little house full of gadgets and traps. Possibly they ended up at this GIANT MAUSOLEUM. I recall that the plot and stuff might not have been too good, but the movie had awesome super-creepy set design and mood.

I know Josh already said this, but the best part is totally when the older borther claims the 'noise' was made by the little retarded kid down the street.

golden!

I think we used that line as an explanation for anything for like, an entire semester at least.

the a-team style making of the quadruple barreled shotgun is worth the price of admission my friend. the killer drill-balls are just gravy.

"On the surface, the story is about two brothers, 13-year old Michael (Mike Baldwin) and his older brother Jodi (Bill Thornbury), and one of Jodi's best friends and bandmates, Reggie (Reggie Bannister). Michael and Jodi have lost their parents, and as Phantasm begins, another friend, Tommy, is killed. That brings our heroes to the Morningside funeral home/cemetery and its bizarre caretaker, "The Tall Man" (Angus Scrimm). Most of the film consists of our heroes investigating Morningside in their somewhat reckless manner and discovering that odder things are going on there than they ever dreamed of.

Coscarelli has stated that Phantasm is primarily about the rituals that surround death in America. That, along with literal depictions of the various senses of the word "Phantasm," is really a better description than the ostensible plot I outlined above. That makes Phantasm unfold more like a poem than a novel, and creates some of the impression that the film seems to make little sense, as we expect films to be more like novels. It certainly doesn't make Phantasm any less of a film--just different, and it may take at least two viewings to read it properly.

In addition to Coscarelli's purity of vision, Phantasm benefits from a fabulous score that rivals Halloween's for importance to the film, amazing mortuary sets that are responsible for much of the film's other-worldliness, great choices for location shots/exteriors--especially the mansion that was used for the outside of the funeral home, and terrific performances from a cast who remains largely unsung outside of the Phantasm series."

from IMDB.COM

Originally posted by VangelicSurgeon
Oh, yeah. there is some sick stuff that goes down. I think one of them drills into a dudes mouth at one point (though that may have been Phantasm 2. The best part, for me, is the utter lack of an explanation as to what the hell is up with tall dude and his killer balls and jawas....

Yeah, aren't there like 3-4 of these movies now? I can't remember how many, but I know I've seen 3 of them. They get less intelligible every movie - it's like no matter what happened, at the end the weird dude would pop his head in after one of the characters said "it's over" and say

NO IT'S NOT

m