Can you achieve stereo/left & right kick effect w midi & a drum replacer plug?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
HEy dudes

So, I'm becoming a bit more intrigued with drum replacement (and your collective obsession w Slate) :lol: but I'd like to ask the following: Is it possible to tell a drum replacer to alternate in between two very slightly panned samples (or, if using multisamples, tell it to pan them in alternate fashion on playback) for the kick drum?

I used to do this (along w the bit of pitch alteration suggested by Mike G) on Reason (Reason 3, I think?) and the improvement in realism (to my ears, at least) from the stereo effect was immense (with the slight panning I mean; with the pitch change, not so much).

Much Obliged :kickass:

Allow me to elaborate a bit more- If you have double bass drums on a midi track (say, all B0, or all C1 notes)- that's where I found the panning most useful on Reason (to avoid machine-gun fx, of course).
I'm not asking for real drums really, but for a standard midi track where all the BD kicks are same note / same vel / same channel. Not two midi notes with different assignments.

Why not automate your kick track's Pan envelope really hard to either side in time with the double kicks?

The best way to make it sound natural would be to manually edit the MIDI track to two separate notes for the bass drum. Otherwise you're gonna get weird shit with single kick passages.

Hmm because it would sound really weird?

But is that not what he's trying to do? He wants double-kick sections to have a bit of left-right to them, which pan automation would quite easily do.

I guess maybe I should rephrase - by "hard", I mean the envelope itself will be really sharp, not that you'd want to pan them 100% left and right.

You mean me? I'm the OP, you know ;)

In a nutshell I was asking if one can make BDs (and toms, forgot to mention that) sound panned in alternation without altering the midi itself (or if propietary samples/plugin include such a feature already) Advanced AMG does this in Slate I think but I wonder if it's customizable..

Everyone here talks about Trigger but I wouldn't be replacing any physical drums - I guess the Kontakt Metal EX would be enough for me right? samples r the same?
There being two different sites is a bit confusing

Yeah, I'd just pan them (automation) if I wanted that. What's the problem with doing that?

Does it really sound good? I'd rather have the kick (even on double bass parts) right in the middle.

(Also, why toms? Wouldn't you just normally pan them to, say, 50% right for the floor tom and be done with it? What alteration do you want on the toms?)

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, I just don't quite understand what you want.

+1 to metal foundry, it was made for this. two kick drums, each side has a different MIDI note. just now i went through an entire 8 song EP i'm working on and moved each left foot hit up a note so it'd trigger the left kick drum (the kid played one drum with a double pedal.) i'm not doing this for any kind of panning, just cause when you use metal foundry and both kicks it sounds SUPER natural because the left drum is slightly different. especially once you get good at humanizing the velocities on fast parts.

Yeah, I'd just pan them (automation) if I wanted that. What's the problem with doing that?

problem with automated panning is if he's trying to simulate two kick drums, the samples won't be able to overlap during fast parts. so the tail end of one sample (unless it's a ridiculously fast sample) will be jumping into the other side before it's even done playing.

problem with automated panning is if he's trying to simulate two kick drums, the samples won't be able to overlap during fast parts. so the tail end of one sample (unless it's a ridiculously fast sample) will be jumping into the other side before it's even done playing.

+1 Gotta be two samples triggered by two midi notes, IMO

To explain myself further

What I used to do with Reason (way back already, when DFH was only wavs) was, I would load NN-XT module (I think it was called that) and load two kick samples. Pan one 1-3% L, other R. Assign same note, then tell the module to play them alternate. I would kill mids to oblivion (again this was forever ago) :lol: The samples I edited so were mostly transients eh
Did basically the same (panning) w toms & even snare (all for when the fast passages, obviously)

Since that time it was evident to me using B0 and C1 as L-R kick was the sure bet (even w multisampling) - So what I'm interested to know is, how about this nowadays?
Not planning on giving Metal Foundry a go for now as the randomizing in stock Superior sounds like dirt to me- I read Slate has some algorithm within Kontakt built in for EXs?

EDIT: Shouldn't have said 'drum replacer' perhaps- sorry about that