Can you hear harmonics?

Bromigo

Oct 17, 2009
I don't mean to ask this question in a traditional sense, because of course everyone can hear harmonics. What I mean is, can you hear a sound, and specifically pick out the separate harmonics within the sound? I ask because at some point, I became able to do this. I'm not trying to claim to have golden ears or anything, but when I hear music, I can specifically differentiate harmonics and I am somehow able to visualize them as separate sounds. It's pretty strange actually. However, now when I hear music that isn't rich harmonically, I can't stand it. Its just too grating and harsh. I was just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation...

yes... humans can do this. ;)

not that it is all that relevant but i have always "seen" colors in my head when hearing fundamental frequencies and when i have gotten older i can actually feel certain frequencies.

it's not all that mysterious but it is really great to be in tune with that part of your physical self.

I've noticed it a few months ago. I'm not able to hear them for all types of sounds, but in some cases yes. Not in a mix yet, for example, but I'm now sometimes able to hear at least the first harmonics distinctively in some random noises. Also, the more I learn, the better my ability to guess a frequency is. I'm not yet able to identify precisely which frequencies I need to boost or tame in a guitar sound, but I'm more and more precise in it. It's a nice feeling actually. But I wouldn't say I'm able to pick out the different harmonics in all sounds. I just tried by knowking on wood around me or doing a few random noises, and I'm not yet able to do so, at least if the sound is too short.

You should go hear some church bells. You'll notice crazy layers of harmonics now :)

....now when I hear music that isn't rich harmonically, I can't stand it. Its just too grating and harsh. I was just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation...
So you find things like the flute or sine wave synths harmonically inferior and thus unpleasing? More harmonic content has a much greater potential to make a sound "grating and harsh" than less does technically. Or do you mean "harmonic" in terms of complex chords rather than complex sounds?

How do I know if I can hear harmonics?
I don't know if I can hear them or not.

But talking about this, sometimes I think about WE the audio geeks. We spend hours trying to find the better tones, the better gear, tubes, different plugins, vintage warmers, and many other extremely subtle changes to our tracks. We are (or we try) to be demanding gourmets.

But do we take care of our ears? Dirty ears can make you not hearing some frequencies for example. Age is another important factor. Our ears are not the same at the age of 20 or 40, and probably a young boy will do a differente mix because he can hear frequencies that an older man would do.

Bass guitar is the easiest to pick out harmonics with, they're often very clear. The easiest way to pick them out is to high pass the track above the fundamental and pick out the 1st harmonic, then slowly move the high pass down whilst staying concentrating on the harmonic.

not really related to the question but i always feel like my "head opens" when i hear music i like.
really strange feeling, like i woke up in another realm