Can you use cymbal choke from Roland e-drums on Battery 3 or other drum sampler?

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
Roland electronic drums have this choke thing, that when you squeeze/hold de edge of the cymbal pad it mutes the cymbal sound. While it works great on their modules, I can´t seen to make it work with equipment connected via it´s MIDI out (for example, Battery 3). Any ideas? On Roland site it says that the cymbal choke is a MIDI message, but it doesn´t seens to be a midi note message.

Choke operations are transmitted from the TD-series module’s MIDI OUT jack as Polyphonic Key Pressure messages on the MIDI channel assigned to the drum kit part. When you press the rim of a cymbal pad, a message with the value of 7FH is transmitted. When you release the rim, a message with the value of 00H is transmitted.
These messages are sent along with the MIDI Note Number that is assigned to the head and rim of the cymbal pad.

Yeah it is.
To quote your quote, it’s a Poly Key Pressure (aftertouch) MIDI event - grabbing the rim thing sends 7FH, which is a value of 127 …full on KP velocity.
Letting go of it issues the 00H, which is 0 ..full off KP velocity.
Think if it as a note-on/note-off thing.

I’d hazard a guess that either:
(1) Battery doesn’t recognize incoming Poly Key Pressure/Aftertouch MIDI events or
(2) You need to set “allow Aftertouch MIDI events” in Battery somewhere in the main settings.

Some synths disable or filter out that event as a default …if they recognize it at all.

EDIT: ...or (3) Check to see if your DAW needs be set to "allow AT events" ...probably on the MIDI Settings screen

Oh, I see. These terms will help me to find it out by myself. Thank you very much.
If I solve it I will post the solution here for future reference. I am really digging the e-kit. Using the edge of a pad for crash and the body for ride is awesome : D

I found a Battery 2 Manual online - should be similar to Battery 3.
I’m just guessing here, but try this…

On the Modulation View Tab (this section provides up to 8 modulation paths):
Set one of the Modulation Sources to Polyphonic Aftertouch
Set the Modulation Amount Slider to 100%
Set the Modulation destination to Volume
I don’t think the LFO or Envelope settings will make much of a difference, since you’re just sending all on/all off Aftertouch Velo values.

This “should” allow Battery to recognize Aftertouch coming in, picking up 100% of the MIDI values, and controlling the volume.

It appears to be a global setting (all Battery drums/pads/MIDI notes) but I think the Roland TD-nn will only send out the aftertouch event on the choke pad, so this Modulation Source should only kick in on the cymbal(s) that have the choke pad.

All other drums on Roland won’t/shouldn’t pass this event along.
Meaning: you’re snare shouldn’t choke out, since that drum doesn’t send that event.
…unless you assign the cymbal to a snare drum and hit the choke pad, which in that case it would :loco:

If all that doesn't work or freaks things out, change that Mod Tab back to None to get rid of controlling Battery with the Aftertouch event.

Hell yeah, it worked. Thanks again man! Battery 3 even have choke groups. The only thing is that I had to set the slider to 0% instead of 100%.
The only problem now is that when I squeeze the pad the choke mute the sound only as long as I keep holding the squeezed pad. For example, if I hit the crash and squeeze it, the sample will mute, but after I release it the rest of the sample will cotinue to ring (unless I hold the pad enough to end the sample duration, of course). Will work here to make the sample END when I choke, instead of just mute it. Thanks again.

Sounds like you're getting pretty close!
Kinda weird that it mutes then comes back on again - I figured it would shut off completely.

Maybe try setting the envelope of that Mod Source to have a fast Sustain and Release see if that stops it from coming back?