__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Canaan – A Calling To Weakness
Eibon Records – can036 – November 2002
By Paddy Walsh

canaan_weakness.jpg

Before I came across A Calling to Weakness, I had no previous knowledge of Canaan. Whether this was simply because I just never happened upon them, or because a subconscious force in my mind steered me away for the sake of my health, I’m not sure. After to listening to this album a number of times, I’m willing to bet it’s the latter. A Calling to Weakness not only drones on for over 70 minutes, but also happens to be one of the most uneventful and downright boring pieces of music I’ve ever listened to.

Canaan are a doom band of sorts. They attempt to create a mournful atmosphere through the use of wishy-washy synths, distorted guitars, and a vocalist who moans and groans his way through the songs. So far so good, but the problem lies not so much in what they wanted to achieve but in their complete lack of song-writing flair and variety. Pretty much every track (not including the various pointless interludes) sounds the same as the last; a central mid-paced clean guitar lick, painfully basic drumming, overbearing keyboards, and monotonous vocals. Every now and again in comes the electric guitar, which you might not even notice at times, being buried beneath the quagmire of keyboards. This wouldn’t be so bad if something interesting actually happened, but it simply never does. All the songs seem to follow a similar kind of ‘start off slow and quiet, then build up to a ‘climax’ with distorted guitars and the vocalist trying to sound hurt’ structure. The only ‘standout’ track on this whole album (and I use the word loosely), is ‘Grey’, which is notable because it’s one of the few tracks where the guitars are actually afforded some room to breathe.

I’m sure the band’s intention was to make you depressed when listening to this record, and they have achieved that aim with flying colours. Unfortunately, it’s for all the wrong reasons. Avoid like you would a Canaan fan while on an acid trip.

3/10

Official Canaan Website
Official Eibon Records Website