Seventh Calling - Monuments

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Seventh Calling – Monuments
Melissa Records - 2006
By Adam McAuley

Monuments%5b1%5d_th.jpg

A throw-back towards many of the classics is shown strongly with Monuments although Seventh Calling goes ahead to make a sound of their own. There’s definitely a hint of Judas Priest here with the gleaming approach to song-writing. It has a relatively straight up aura that catches your attention to a certain degree, but doesn’t have enough overall nuances to completely enthral you.

Monuments has a robotic style that is fitting enough and reminds perhaps of Judas Priest’s Painkiller. Some excitement is generated by the band, though they aren’t quite tight enough to elevate themselves to the next echelon. This makes them sort of mediocre despite the potential to become far greater than they show themselves to be. A melding of traditional metal with some thrash elements sounds promising and this band could do it quite well if they elevated themselves up just a couple of notches. As a unit, Seventh Calling is moderately tight and explosive in their style performing the classic style well enough. The songs have catchiness associated with them that is always a plus and go on to become somewhat engrained in your memory upon multiple listens.

Though streamlined, there isn’t much innovation or anything that sticks out and pulls you in for the ride. It’s difficult to recommend Monuments, although it is worthy of a listen or two. The infusion of tried and true elements makes it venerable at times as seen with “Dead Mind’s Eye”, but there’s never enough standing out to completely excite the listener. I’ll stick with the classics if I want to hear this type of a metal performed though one can acknowledge the reasonable effort put forth here.

Official Seventh Calling Website
Official Seventh Calling My Space
Official Melissa Records Website