CANDLEMASS: Opinions? Roll Call Mokena Show May 24?

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
I'm not so sure Candlemass is on-topic for the PPUSA Forum (they allegedly only skirted the edges of prog metal in their later years), but I recently stumbled upon them and have been pleasantly surprised by their riffage and by the Dio-esque vocals of their latest singer, Robert Lowe.

I really like King of the Grey Islands (their latest), and -- of course -- their '80s albums with vocalist Messiah Marcolin.

Anyone have opinions about this band? Anyone seen them live that could recommend them? We're thinking of making the 2-1/2 hour journey to Mokena this weekend to catch them at The Pearl Room.

What say you?

Bill

saw them in '86 they kicked ass. i lost touch after messiah left. all those post-marcolin releases i cant get into. love the new record. it's not near as awesome as the old stuff, but sure to please. i'd go see them if somebody paid for me to rent a car and bought me gas....

you cant get into the latest album but you love it?

and Nightfall is the only one out of the first 3 I could grab. And its fucking awesome

Can't say enough good things about the band.
The new album is stellar!
I too will be at the Pearl Room this Saturday.
From those I know who have seen shows on this tour already, they have said nothing but praise of the performance.

Robert Lowe, in particular, was fucking awesome. There was a quiet moment between songs, and someone yelled "Messiah Who?", then people started chanting "Messiah sucks!". I think Lowe probably enjoyed that. You know, I almost didn't want to hear him sing Samarithan because I didn't think anyone could come close to how Messiah sang it, but he fucking nailed it.

STolen from a guy who saw it the other night in Virgina

took setlist out incase youre one of those weird types who hate it :lol:

Saw them in NYC on Tues. Dam impressive! Great live show. Those crosses on stage, love them.

I honestly never heard em until a few months ago. I started with the first album and liked it.......then got the new one and LOVED it. I also got some of their old stuff but haven't listened to it much.

I would of seen them and Daylight Dies (wanted to see them so bad) but there was no Atlanta date :mad:

Robert Lowe, in particular, was fucking awesome. There was a quiet moment between songs, and someone yelled "Messiah Who?", then people started chanting "Messiah sucks!". I think Lowe probably enjoyed that. You know, I almost didn't want to hear him sing Samarithan because I didn't think anyone could come close to how Messiah sang it, but he fucking nailed it.

STolen from a guy who saw it the other night in Virgina

took setlist out incase youre one of those weird types who hate it :lol:

Actually, I'm one of those nerds who likes to know every note played...and then I go home to create a setlist from the show in iTunes. :)

So, if you know the setlist, I'd love to see it.

I'm totally amazed by Robert Lowe's voice. What a set of pipes! I may like his voice better than Messiah's, although it may be the production and the riffs on their latest -- combined with Lowe's voice -- that does it for me.

I'm getting the impression that I should make the journey to Mokena.

Okay. Sold. We're going.:headbang:

I'll have some photos and a review posted shortly after the show.

The Well of Souls
Mirror, Mirror
Solitude
Emperor of the Void
Devil Seed
Dark are the Veils of Death
Crystal Ball
Of Stars and Smoke
A Sorcerer's Pledge

Encore:
Black Dwarf
Samarithan

You listen to Rob's first band, Solitude Aeturnus as well?

The Well of Souls
Mirror, Mirror
Solitude
Emperor of the Void
Devil Seed
Dark are the Veils of Death
Crystal Ball
Of Stars and Smoke
A Sorcerer's Pledge

Encore:
Black Dwarf
Samarithan

You listen to Rob's first band, Solitude Aeturnus as well?

Thanks. And, no. I didn't know Rob existed, let alone Solitude Aeturnus, until about three weeks ago.

Is SA a good listen, too? Worth a purchase?

I'll be there along with Pat (Mr. Kashchei) .. should be a good show. I like their latest with Rob Lowe quite a bit, and I know a good majority of the older material as well. Judging from that setlist I think I'll be familiar with nearly everything they'll play.

Britt

Been a big fan since the 80's.
Saw them in NYC on tuesday night and they slaaaaaaayed.
Got to hang with the guys, Rob bought my friend a beer for his 21st birthday LOL.

King of Grey Islands is a really great CD. Rob says the new stuff blows away pretty much all other Candlemass.

Thanks. And, no. I didn't know Rob existed, let alone Solitude Aeturnus, until about three weeks ago.

Is SA a good listen, too? Worth a purchase?

I actually just recently grabbed a few SA albums(im really not a big doom guy) but Through the Darkest Hour and Beyond the Crimson Horizon were the 2 I grabbed(liking both) and were rec'd by people and MA reviews

Good! I thought I read that you'd be at Powerfest, too. I walked up to a photographer who I thought might be you and asked him if he was the Purple Crayon guy. He wasn't. Wow, talk about strange looks! :)

Ken

That's hilarious!

I was at Pagan Fest, which was the lead-in to Power Fest. But we didn't go to Power Fest proper.

Look for a blond-haired guy with a camera at the Candlemass gig. Name's Bill. But I'll answer to Purple Crayon Guy. :)