Cannabis and your immune system...

all of the people i know who reglarly smoke pot have very little else they focus on in their lives.

all of the people i know who regularly smoke pot spend most of their time and resources making sure they can get more pot.

all of the people i know who regularly smoke pot do other, harder more expensive drugs.

all of the people i know who regularly smoke pot, when they smoke a lot are extremely boring people to be around. because getting yourself high is their primary concern, and that's pretty valueless and poor persuit.

Lol all of the people I know who smoke it regularly (more than me, say once every 2 nights or something) dont fit into any of those generalisations.

Satori said:
Btw, you sort of know me, don't you? And I don't fit into any of those generalizations you just made. So I assume you've limited your scope to those people that you know in real life. But anyway...

............................but i didn't know you smoked pot!!! :p

but my knowledge of what you get up to other than posting on this forum is about zero so i can't make a very informative character assessment of you! anyhoo!

Intriguing. Of ALL the people I know (with the exception of 1 single person, the guy who I buy pot from, who probably makes more money than many people do working), none of them fit into those generalizations you made. Another guy who I sometimes buy weed from doesn't even smoke it himself, and he's using the money to put himself through university (and he's getting good grades too). Sounds to me that the people you know who smoke weed are a bunch of losers. No surprises there. Where you go wrong is in your subtle assumptions that they are lazy losers *because* they smoke pot.

yes, so subtle in fact that i specifically and purposefully didn't say it..... or even imply it..... anywhere! i did so not least because i don't even think it's true!

i'm glad you think that pot dealers are such wonderful people who make such valuable contributions to society, without mention of the fact that the money which comes from the sale of drugs on the street is the primary source of funding for organised crime. that the money paid to these drug dealers goes to rich rich drug barons who pay no tax to support our hospitals, ammenities and police services, and who use much of the money to buy guns to be put in the hands of criminals who walk our streets maintaining by threat and force their illegal businesses.

I don't think that's the case. If they were responsible, practical, disciplined, and motivated people to begin with, they wouldn't allow themselves to be losers with no lives.

So in a nutshell, here's what I'm actually saying:

Loser types with no lives are more likely to regularly endulge in mind-altering substances (ie. pot, alcohol, tobacco).

i agree. this in fact was more my point.

But successful and motivated people endulge in recreational mind-altering substances too, and they don't turn into losers because of it.

well that sort of depends on what things you look for in a persons life to call the, successful and motivated. furthermore i don't think that successful, motivated people are always good people! you can get successful, motivated paedophiles....

But anyway, I guess I have much broader view of the situation because I'm a little older than most people here and most of the people I know, many of whom use pot, are responsible and productive members of society. It's a shame that these people are also subject to your narrow generalizations, because they don't fit with those stereotypes at all. But I'm sure you already realize this, I just feel it needed to be said.

you're older than most of the people you know?..........

my generalisations are not narrow. like i say, they are based on extensive life experience and of the many many associations i have with many many old and new friends, and old and young friends. few of them are particularly productive people. for those of you with limited logical reasoning skills or 'broader views' if you will, that does not mean that none of them are. it does not mean that i believe that pot smoker=loser.

but i guess i will develop your breadth and wisdom in time. maybe i just need to smoke a lot more pot. i'm sure that will make everything so much clearer..... maybe i'll grow older than everyone too!

veil of sky said:
you're older than most of the people you know?
What's so odd about that? Youngin alerrrrrt! ((alarms start wailing)) :p JK.
...but i didn't know you smoked pot!!!
Will you think less of him now? Please say no.
but i guess i will develop your breath and wisdom in time. maybe i just need to smoke a lot more pot. i'm sure that will make everything so much clearer...
Probably! :lol: JK. So, you do smoke? You said "A lot more pot." But really, no need to be defensive. The thing that could be clearer is your point. Give me your bottom line. From what I've read, you tend to think a smoker is a loser... but then you don't think that. Maybe your opinion on pot is on a thin line between love and hate.

(breaks into song)

Iron Maiden, Brave New World - "There's a thin line between love and hate..." \mXm/

Getting different perspectives on this topic is always fascinating. My father, for instance is convinced that marijuana is almost as detrimental as heroin. This is a dude who grew up in the 70's for God's sake. I told him that I smoked it because I knew that it would piss him off. :p

Opet said:
What's so odd about that? Youngin alerrrrrt! ((alarms start wailing)) :p JK.

mmmhmmmmmmmm ....ok!

i'm 23 and until i'm in my 50s or something i wont be older than most of the people i know!!!

Will you think less of him now? Please say no.

well i think that people who devote too much of their time and resource to pot smoking are behaving in a pretty selfish way. i think that over-emphasis on self-indulgence of a non-creative kind in itself is a bad thing. this is because i think constructive human behaviour is not manifested in this way. it's a focus on the self, and not in a useful 'self-improvement' type of way. pot smoking doesn't have any benefits to the world whatsoever other than the 'i feel good for the time being' factor, which is not one that should occupy our ambitions and our behaviours.

i might 'think less' of Satori or anyone else if i were to understand that they focussed 'too much' of their time and resource on pot smoking, but i don't really know how much of a part it plays in his life so there you go!

my position on regular pot use is that by the nature of the thing it very often becomes the focus of a person's activities, of their resource and subsequently of their life. the more regular the use, the more of a problem this becomes. this is overwhelmingly my experience of drug use and drug users. as the focus of their lives turns towards self-indulgence and pot smoking on the whole, then it turns away from social and moral responsibility, from constructive social interaction and from productivity.

that is my position if you want it clearly.

Probably! :lol: JK. So, you do smoke? You said "A lot more pot." But really, no need to be defensive.

huh? who's being defensive?? :p

yes i smoke pot, very occasionally and only when i get drunk and aren't thinking entirely straight. there's a lot of things i do when i'm taking it easy and taking a break that i don't think are particularly 'good things to do', but i do them because i am human. i have a concern about these things becoming the focal point of people's lives, including my own.

The thing that could be clearer is your point. Give me your bottom line. From what I've read, you tend to think a smoker is a loser... but then you don't think that. Maybe your opinion on pot is on a thin line between love and hate.

see above

(breaks into song)

Def Leppard - when love and hate collide