Cannibal Corpse/Dimmu Borgir/The Haunted/Lamb Of God

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Cannibal Corpse/Dimmu Borgir/The Haunted/Lamb Of God
April 24, The Palace, Hollywood, CA
By Rodrigo

This show was one that I was very much looking forward to. I mainly wanted to see The Haunted and Dimmu Borgir for the first time. But I was also curious about seeing Lamb of God and what a Cannibal Corpse show is like. When I found out that this show was going to be at The Palace I immediately cringed. I attended the Dream Theater/Dixie Dregs show that was ended by the Fire Marshall. I remembered by the time I got into the venue the Dixie Dregs were already playing and I do not need to repeat the fiasco of pulling the plug on Dream Theater.

Well, I decided to arrive very early but I encountered the same slow process that The Palace uses to let people in. By the time I finally got in Lamb of God was well into their set. What I did manage to see of their set was very impressive. Their singer has a lot of stage presence and he definitely has a great voice. The music was very good. Lamb of God has shades of technicality but not too much. Mainly, they are a very brutal and exciting new band. I must now get their latest release New American Gospel.

So after their set, I managed to get as close as possible to the stage to get ready for The Haunted. The Haunted Made Me Do It, their last album, was one of the best releases of 2000 and I was very excited to finally seeing them live. Well, to simply sum it up: The Haunted were awesome!! They played with a lot of energy, passion and were totally into the show and the fans. Singer Marco Aro was constantly smiling and having a great time as was the entire band. I was closest to guitarist Jensen and he made a lot of eye contact with the fans. I actually was able to meet him and congratulate him on the great job they did. They played a lot of songs from both their albums like "Hollow Ground", "Hate Song", "Chokehold" and "Leech". It was funny to hear that during the time between songs many people were yelling for The Haunted to play At the Gates songs. The most popular request I heard was "Blinded by Fear". Ultimately, they never played anything from At the Gates (and they shouldn’t) but never the less everyone was happy to have seen The Haunted. When it was time to wrap up their set the crowd collectively screamed "NO!!".

So the time came for Dimmu Borgir to take the stage. I had moved closer to the stage but I wasn’t the only one. Soon, the whole area by me began to get crowded and people began to sway and push each other even before Dimmu Borgir started playing. As soon as they did, all hell broke loose! The mosh pit grew and it got very violent. For the sake of not breaking my eyeglasses I decided to get away and just enjoy the show from the back. Next time I plan to bring a glasses case.

The first thing I immediately noticed about the band is that Siemen (bassist) is incredibly tall. He has such a commanding presence but it was a shame that his bass did not sound very well in the mix of the show. Throughout the show, I noticed that Nick Barker (drums) was not really into it. He was constantly looking to the side and not really towards the crowd. He still played great but he did not show a lot of emotion. Mustis (keyboards) on the other hand was really involved, despite the fact that he was in the back. I really like what he adds to the bands sound. Both of the guitarists Silenoz and Garm were very involved in getting the crowd going, especially Garm. Their playing was excellent. Finally, Shagrath (vocals) was perfect in his duties. Dimmu Borgir played a lot from their new album Purtianical Euphoric Misanthropia (one of the best releases of the year) like the excellent song "Kings of the Carnival Creation and "Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny". By the end of their show, Dimmu Borgir managed to absolutely tire everyone out. A lot of people went to the bar and bought Gatorade and waters and sat down. (I would like to point out here how rude the bartender treated me at this time. The guy before me got 2 Gatorades and 1 beer and he was charged $9, I bought 1 Gatorade and got charged $5! A lot of good tipping her did to me. Another reason why The Palace totally sucks!)

I was amazed by the fact of how many people left after Dimmu Borgir ended. I thought the majority was there to see Cannibal Corpse but that was clearly not the case. I stuck around to watch Cannibal Corpse but in the end their show really did nothing for me. I think that a lot of people were really tired (including me) and it was just real hard for any band to go after Dimmu Borgir on that night.

Overall, this was a fantastic night of metal. I am very interested in acquiring the Lamb of God CD and I hope to see both The Haunted and Dimmu Borgir again sometime in the future. Finally, I hope that people realize what a horrible place The Palace is and for bands to not use that venue. There are plenty of other better venues in the Hollywood area.

John from Vehemence here, I have witnessed the chaotic show April 24th at the Palace in Hollywood. I arrived there with Bjorn and Jason on a 6 hour drive from Phoenix, Arizona. Shows in California contain large amounts of people that attend these shows. In compairison to shows in Arizona, only 300 people come to tours like these. So we decided to take a quick trip to Hollywood to see the show as well promote our 1st Vehemence"The Thoughts From Which I Hide Tour" w/flyers in hand.

Lamb of God started to play when I was in line and I caught half of there set. I knew who Lamb of God where and their signing to sublabel Prosetitic Records/Metal Blade but did not know how they sounded like. I put my fingers in my ears to ear the music more clearly on their last song they played called 07Lamb of God-The Subtle Arts of Murder and Persuasion. I saw these guys on the Six Feet Under tour and they floored Tempe, AZ at Bostons. They should be selling millions because they have energy, and if they had studio production like Pantera they would be 100x as huge.

Next, I was the Haunted and I was familiar with there set list. They are a very good band from Sweden with memorable lyrics. Their new front man was excellent and did a great job. A spot light snhined on The Haunted's logo and the band proceded. Hate song was played and every one was enjoying it. I moved closer up front before thier set to witness the action.

Dimmu Borgir had a new line up which I came to see. The last time I saw Dimmu was their 1st U.S. TOUR in Sept, of 1999 at The Nile Theater in MESA, AZ. They had Nick on drums and Astenu on Guitar. I think that any band that has lighting effects, projectors, and a gimmick can win the audiance over, because the music is killer and it is backed by "iceing on cake" some bands depend on this but with the next act,some bands just need because they like it, there is no need to have all of that . I personally like it, and I think every band should have some sort of fianances to do such things.

Cannibal Corpse, did a face smashing proffesional set, professional as always and stright forwarded the whole show with there memorbale set list, Some people were bored, after seeing Dimmu's badd ass set for their new songs, but most of the new commers in the scene, were just as astonished by Death Metal Veterans Cannibal Corpse. The show ended and we procedded to drive home right after, 6 hours ! Here are some pictures of the show.
http://www.uraniummusic.com/music/photos/cc.shtml

EDIT:DEC 17, 2002
John from Vehemence here and I wold like to say it was a pleasure playing on the PALACE stage for the METAL BLADE 20TH ANNIVERSARY show, the place doesnt look that big at all when the house is empty.

I remember Cannibal Corpse and Dimmu Borgir played here in the same week once. Cannibal Corpse was horrible and BLOWN AWAY by the Black Dahlia Murder, who I didn't even like at the time.

As far as Dimmu Borgir, they were better than I could've imagined.

No offense guys but i think that the only Black metal group that counts is Immortal. Really i think that all this S H I T about demons, the devil and things like that are not the most important. I mean, what's the message of their songs? I may like their riffs and the atmosphere but the most of the lyrics and the ideology itself is a bullshit.No offense...

I like George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher on the albums but I can not STAND watching him live. The fat fuck just stands there then does this lame windmills during all the parts when he is not screaming. And he just can't even come close to sounding good on the Old school Cannibal Corpse that most people go to see

Chris Barnes had 100 times more stage presence than does George Fisher. I doubt it will ever happen those guys are too arrogant to let Chris Barnes come back for a reunion tour and record

man cannibal corpse and dimmu both blow. i am a huge metalhead and these are some of the bands i hate the most. grind isn't my thing and it jsut sounds the same and repetitive

Yeah, those are just about some of the worst metal bands of all time. I can say I honestly hate each of those bands. Listen to some good music, man.

These reviewers need to review just a little bit better. They present the information, however it is structurally dissatisfying.

The people that have nothing better to do than you insult others on a forum need to get a life and insult some real people, at a real concert, with real badasses who WILL beat your ass. All these insulters can do is hide behind the internet.

DeathMetal is DeathMetal. Instead of Focusing on one DeathMetal band, focus on it as a whole. Stop being so critical on matters that you cannot comprehend. These bands have spent years to perfect what they do best, and that is to please the people that like them. They could fucking care less about the insignificancies of the normal internet badass. I'd like to see you guys get a full orchestra when producing music. I'd like to see you play the instruments as good as they do. I'd like to see you wallow in your own hipocracy while these bands fulfill thier dream.

Dimmu Borgir is the shit, and so are the poeple that brought them to where they are: the producers, the orchestras, the record companies, but most of all, THE FANS. Same goes for all of the other bands.

Grow the fux up people. Your analysis of these bands make me sick; Sick enough to shit green, which is what most of you will be doing after these bands rip your rectum out with their equipment.

Trylakos said:
you said Garm plays guitar for Dimmu:erk:

Garm playing guitar for Dimmu Borgir is the funniest thing I've ever read!!!! ahahhahahahha. Anyway, Dimmu puts on a great live show. Vortex is god and he left Dimmu. Yayy!!! Also, CC is great live. I haven't seen the fat Corpsegrinder version but I did see them when they toured with Obituary and Corpsegrinder was great then.

Cannibal Corpse was fuckin awesome!!!! The best live band I ever seen.Dimmu was boring and shitty!No live performance.

Hail the kings of Death Metal Cannibal Corpse!!!

Yeah man, CANNIBAL CORPSE was amazing!I can't stop watching Corpsegrinders live perfomance! They are great musicians,better than fucking borgir ever was! The Haunted was also good.

Of course Cannibal Corpse was the best band.They have a big musicial knowledge! And they have a awesome liveshow. Great band!