In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Canvas Solaris - Penumbra Diffuse
Sensory Records - SR3030 - Jan. 17, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
CanvasSolaris.jpg

This is technical prog to the extreme. Think Spiral Architect on acid and steroids. Sophomore release Penumbra Diffuse is seven instrumental space-oriented songs to wrap your mind around. The trio has a massive bag of tricks, using five different synthesizers for the spacey atmosphere, 6- and 12- string guitars, and a conglomeration of percussion instruments for the occasional jazzy or tribal feel.

Not all of their songs are complete madness, though. “Horizontal Radiant” for example is fairly straightforward and solemn. It’s the kind of song that is quite suited for a casual ride through the starry universe. And on the other side, not all of their crazy songs lack substance. They know how to write killer upbeat melodies and create beautiful emotion (especially in the Middle Eastern flavored tune, “Vainayasa”). However, there are times when I feel like they’re crazying it up just for the sake of sounding chaotic and to blow our minds with their virtuosity, so some of the transitions within songs come across as forced.

Canvas Solaris is not for everyone. You need a wide-open mind, a soft spot for tech, and a taste for space. If you think you’ve got all that, pop in this disc, close your eyes and get ready for a ride.

6.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Canvas Solaris Official Website
Sensory Records Official Website

SO much fucking better than their debut. SO MUCH. 9 easily, I'm thinking...and I'm sure it will grow on me more...this sounds like a more metal Ozric Tentacles...

Also why a 6.5 if you don't say anything negative about it at all in your review?!

Well...except that some of the transitions are botched, and I'd agree, some sound forced, but still...6.5?!

The Metal Chick said:
Because that's what it felt like to me. Besides, we reviewers are getting demerits from the powers that be for not being harsh enough ;)

Pretty brutal! Keep on reviewing though! :) :)