Caparison Guitars

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
When I first joined here there were a number of forum members who owned and praised Caparison guitars, back at the same time when Evergrey were recent additions to the endorsee roster and Soilwork were making their mark with their Dellingers.
Now days there seems to be very little mention of them.

Does anyone still know about them or care? Have they lost their mystique after the dust settled and the market became flooded with a host of new boutique hand made guitars?

This year they will be delving into a "stripped down" model range to reside next to the regular series that have been available for decades now. Hopefully more people will be able to afford them now.

I think there are a couple of factors in play but a major one is that at the peak of their hype they had one US dealer and a website that was only half in English. I know that the US is only one market but I think it's fair to say it's major.
I talked with an endorser who left them several years back and he said "I felt like I was doing a lot more for their brand than they were doing for me or my band." Anyway, it seems like they've caught up now but as you said, the $3k production guitar may have lost it's luster a bit in the age of a million custom luthiers (even if the production guitar is actually better).

Yeah you're definitely right about the distribution. At that time they eventually had one dealer in Oz and the retail on a basic Horus or Dillenger was around $3,500.
Interesting points you mention about the endorser. I agree that since the new owners came in that has improved, with thanks mostly to social media.

Personally, I'm still in love with the company. Both through their history and quite a few past models being a rarity now days, but also for the products they still produce and that they're easier to track down now than they ever have been. The second hand market for them is a buyers playground for near mint examples too!

Honestly, the company is better now than it has ever been. More models with options and features that people want, great customer support, better fretwork, more attention to detail... The company has changed a lot, and it changed for the better. The prices aren't too bad right now for those in the US, either, especially considering that ESP's prices went up. $2199 for an Angelus and $2499 for a Dellinger/Dellinger II/Horus. The TATs are a bit pricey at $2899, but don't forget the used market. I just saw a Horus go for $1000, and there are some solid deals out there on all kinds of different used Caps for under $1600 if you're patient enough.

2014 line is now on the website, good news for 7 string fans

http://www.caparisonguitarcompany.com/en/

Lifted from the Caparison Forum:

CAPARISON GUITARS – NEW FOR 2014

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls of all ages for your delight and delectation we give you Caparison Guitars 2014…

First things first, and due to popular demand (yes we do listen!) We give you the TAT Special CL14. New and improved and in strictly limited quantities the CL14 has a re-designed neck heel as well as a stunning 5A Grade Flame Maple Top! This is quite simply the most desirable guitar I have ever laid my naked sweaty eyes upon. Beautiful it is, and certainly not silent…but it is deadly!

Next up from the starting gate we have the Angelus7-M3B. A 7 String Angelus I hear you all cry…what the…? Yup, here it is and it’s a powerful and magnificent as a Silverback Gorilla, but as playful as an over excited kitten in a box full of ping pong balls! We are very proud of this guitar, it ticks all the boxes for an out and out rock n’ roll classic, and with the 5 way Schaller Mega Switch you’ll have all the pickup options you could ever eat.

And you thought Christmas was over? Well because you’ve all been extremely nice last year we’ve decided to surprise you with the new Dellinger7-M3….Surprise! A 7 string Dellinger fitted with a genuine Floyd Rose trem system means you can now indulge yourself in all the whammy bar heroics you could ever want! And with the Schaller 5 way Mega Switch you literally have umpteen pickup selection choices!...okay 5, but that’s 2 more than before!

The new TAT II+S also has a nifty Schaller 5 way Mega Switch fitted which brings a new set of tones hitherto unknown to this classic through neck creation, if sounds were tastes then this guitar would taste like rock! Sweet, sweet rock!

Did we mention that the Dellinger MJR has also been improved? A brand shiny new Dellinger-M3 MJR, with M3 body construction now mirrors the new shiny gloss white finish and a new neck profile ensures that this remains the premiere technical shred meisters weapon of choice!

And as if we haven’t spoiled you enough all 2014 models now come with Schaller Toggle Switches or 3 or 5 way Schaller Mega Switches as standard, upgraded jack input sockets and corrosion resistant screws on all our Schaller tremolo units and Caparison Design Bridges. Plus…Ladies and Gents all 2014 Caparison Guitars now come with custom Reunion Blues Continental Guitar Cases (apart from the Orbit that is…that guitar is massive and as much as we covered it in butter and squeezed as much as our buttery hands would allow, we just couldn’t get in in the case) But those in the know will appreciate what a significant upgrade this is and how much happier and cosy, safe and secure your lovely new Caparison will be.

For anyone interested, mine has arrived. My small overview of it posted on the Caparison forum:

What a fantastic guitar!! As I mentioned briefly in another thread, Caparison have outdone themselves with the M3 Horus. The sound clarity and balance is still very close to the pre-M3 models, however the added maple centre and in this case the fret board are a really nice touch to the sound we all love.
Build quality is better than on my 2012 Black Night Horus (which was missing out on the last 5% of detail IMO). The fret work is immaculate, and the finish.....no words to describe how happy I am. It looks better in person than any photo can convey.

The Horus has:
27 fretts
single sized, slanted neck humbucker designed specifically for the 27 frett neck
shorter scale length (24 3/4")
only one model currently available with choice of 2 finishes and either ebony or maple board
6 string only

The Dellinger has:
24 frets
Either HSS or HH configuration, depending on model
25 1/2" scale length across the range
Multiple models with 6 or 7 strings, body and fret board wood options

Both models use bolt on construction
Each has it's own neck contour/ profile.