Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Capharnaum – Fractured

Willowtip – WT-027 – 2003

By Nathan Pearce

capharnaum_cover.gif

Once again Willowtip Records proves they are quickly becoming a force to contend with. No other label has had more surprises than Willowtip. The label is adding amazing bands to their roster faster than I can review them.

Capharnaum is no exception. The band is comprised of members of bands like Martyr, Monstrosity, and Trivium, but I don’t really see too much from those bands bleeding through in terms of the overall picture. Capharnaum is best described as brutal/technical metal. HOWEVER, do not let the technical aspect lead you astray. The technicality on display is sort of a combination of Death, Dillinger Escape Plan, Meshuggah, and old-school death metal like Morbid Angel and Carcass. The great thing about this band is that none of those influences can be directly pointed at as the inspiration behind this band. Capharnaum is clearly a band with enough maturity among its members to avoid idol worship. In fact, Fractured shows a band very much on a level all their own.

While it is obvious these guys can play their instruments, the band sticks to shorter songs and concentrates on great songwriting. With the talent this band possesses, they could have easily pulled off a one-hour-plus album of wankery, but to their credit Fractured contains only eight songs in less than thirty minutes.

Capharnaum is clearly one of the rising stars in the death metal scene. Forget about epic and overt-technicality, Fractured is a concise and thorough lesson in great songs. This is a must-own for every fan of death metal as well as pretty much any form of metal in general.

9/10

www.capharnaum.org

www.willowtip.com

I was expecting this to thoroughly own me but it just bored me. I dunno if was because of the mood I was in or because its not a good album. Was expecting something a little different from Willowtip, I dont think I'll be re-listening to it in a hurry.

This one caught me by surprise. I love Deaths CD "Human" and adores the technicality it contains without compromising the melodies. This record can’t be compared to that masterpiece but it sure comes close in a few instances. The technicality is outstanding, the leads is infectious, the riffs inventive and simply cool!, the drumming inhuman and it still manages to "flow" with the music which not often is the case when this level of technique is applied.

I do not like Dillinger Escape Plan because they make music that is to crazy for me and they don’t make "songs" but just jumbled music parts. Capharnaum keeps the pieces together and makes them Shine!

I love this record and it took some spins to finally sink in but now… it’s AWESOME!:hotjump:

Check it out if you like Death, Cynic, Theory in Practice etc.