Capharnaum - Fractured Technicality

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
[imgleft]http://www.ultimatemetal.com/bandpics/capharnaum.jpg[/imgleft]By Nathan Pearce

Upon the first listen to Capharnaum ‘Fractured’, I was struggling to understand what I was hearing. As a former fan of technical metal, I was eager to hear more. But the recent pessimist in me was saying, Technical metal is dead. Alas, most technical metal bands might bore the crap out of me these days, but the exceptions are some of my favorite bands. Along with bands like Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan, Capharnaum occupies that area of technicality that most bands can’t quite manage to create. Their songs are both complex and catchy. Riffs bang off each other rapidly. Solos simultaneously shred and create melody. Vocals actually comprise a majority of the songs. Aggression is not altered to create room for guitar wankery. In fact, Capharnaum barely manages to reach the four-minute mark with most of their songs.

With that in mind, I had the opportunity to talk to Capharnaum’s founder/guitarist, Jason Suecof. Not only did he create the band, he recorded their latest installment, ‘Fractured’, in his own studio. Jason elaborates:

I started Capharnaum in Connecticut with my brother back in ‘93, I believe, with Frank Vega and André Otero and Andy dickens as well. Then we really got our act together, and about ’95, I’d say, along with Tony Espinoza, Ryan Adams, and an array of bass players. Finally it was me, Tony, my brother, Shawn Greenlaw and Kevin Shremmer, and almost all of those people, except Shawn, are in Catylist now. We played lots of shows up until ‘98, and then I moved to Florida to open up a studio. I’ve wanted to play shows so bad, and I've been a big fan of Martyr since ‘98. I met Dan when he was on tour with Gorguts and convinced him to be my friend (gra ha ha ha!). I flew him down here to record the album with me. I met Mike through his girlfriend, and I knew Matt because I recorded the Trivium album and I liked his voice, so this is capharnaum now.

capharnaum_bio_pic_big.jpg

Capharnaum showcases an amazing array of technicality, but the band manages to do so without pigeonholing itself as technical metal.

I just wanted to write good songs that people could enjoy without it being "musician metal" all the way. I think I tried to be catchy and technical at the same time, while having memorable solos that even people that like straight forward metal would be able to digest. But I did what I thought I liked too. I'm pretty happy with almost everything on the album.

Is it just me or is Capharnaum a band that should be able to please both fans of Dillinger Escape Plan and Death?

I do think that both would enjoy it, yes. As I do like Dillinger myself, but I don’t even think we are comparable. I’m sure they have some of the same influences as I do. They’re a totally different type of tech that is great, and they have done something new, which is rare.

Capharnaum defies the normal technical metal formula of longer more epic songs by sticking to around the three or four minute mark on pretty much every song. In fact the entire album come in at less than 30-minutes.

I really suck at writing long songs; I guess that’s just how write. I like it that way, though. Long songs piss me off most of the time, unless the song is totally memorable.

‘Fractured’ was recorded and produced exceptionally well. While most bands in this genre tend to over-emphasize the clean and pristine, Capharnaum sticks to a grittier sound more akin to brutal metal.

I recorded it here at my studio, Audiohammer Studios, www.audiohammer.com. It’s not a home studio, though. I have a full Pro Tools HD rig. I have recorded the new Monstrosity album and all the Trivium's albums. I have also just done Jack Owen’s (from Cannibal Corpse) rock band called Adrift, www.adrift.cc. You can check out all the equipment on the page. As for the process of recording, we did all the drums, laid down guitars, solos on the spot, and then bass and vox. Good times!

Because Capharnaum is made up of musicians from not only many other bands but other states/countries as well, will the band ever be able to play live?

I hope to go on tour this summer with Martyr and another unconfirmed band. I will be getting dates in a couple of months I hope. I really want to play live. But it’s hard to just do a show here and there with Dan being in Canada and all.

Considering that Capharnaum is not the typical technical metal band, and they aren’t exactly limited to brutal metal either, I can’t help but wonder how the metal audience will perceive them.

I’ve been noticing a lot of 15 year olds at metal shows lately. Kind of makes me feel old, even though I’m only 23 and what not. And everything I hear that’s hardcore now is pretty much almost death metal. Soooooooooooo, I think that we could pretty much play with any genre of metal and be accepted. Capharnaum to me is just fun metal. I enjoy playing it, and I think people enjoy listening to it. People are way to serious about metal, and if we get booed at while playing with a band like Shadows Fall or a band like Dillinger or a band like Nevermore, then I think there’s something wrong with the metal audience today.

In accordance with the generally complicated nature of Capharnaum’s music, ‘Fractured’s’ cover art is a little strange as well. In fact, I have no idea what it is.

Well, Mark Riddick came up with it. I told him that I didn’t want it to look evil, per say. I just wanted it to look abstract and kind of jumbled and confused. I really like what Mark did; I think it fits the music perfectly in a way that compliments the songs. It’s kind of odd, and abstract, and Capharnaum means a place that is in constant confusion all the time.

Which brings me to the usual question regarding Willowtip Records. How did they snag another band of such amazing caliber?

My friend Greg told me about the label. I sent stuff to them immediately, and Tipton responded very quickly and told me he wanted to make love to me. It was kind of like "The Cripple and The Record Exec". I’m not sure if you have ever seen that movie but it’s sadder than balls. Anyway, he liked it and he made stuff happen very quickly. He’s way into everything he does, and he actually cares about the bands he puts out. I’m glad that I went with him. There’s something about everything that he puts out that I like. Like, I’m not much into grind, but if it’s a grind album he’s putting out, the band is top notch at what they’re doing. Harikari, Commit Suicide, and Kalibas all rule, and Ion Dissonance fucking rock my world. Got to hang with them when they played here. He’s got a great label with great bands, and I think his label will only expand and get bigger in time.

With all that said, Jason left me with these comments.

I just want to thank anyone who buys my album. I really do appreciate any who buys it, and if you’re going to download the album, if you like, it buy it. Everyone go to www.capharnaum.org and www.audiohammer.com.

And stay tuned for Crotchduster, www.crotchduster.com. It’s coming!

I have to go get a fried chicken tender sub from Publix now, and feed my fat.

Love Jason

www.capharnaum.org

www.willowtip.com