Capital Letters: Yea or Nay?

D Mullholand

[project closed]
Aug 9, 2001
Visit site
Those ugly caps at the beginning of every sentence. Do we actually need them? Do sentences written using only small letters look more aesthetically pleasant to the eye -- where capital letters are limited to signifying names and highlighting important words?

The wise men from the Grim Ancient Times have already invented the full-stop dot to mark the end of the sentence -- why double the effect and follow the dot with a pompous capital letter? What do you say, y'all?

(gong!)

welcome back D, i cant remember your last post really, so anyway

i think they're alright, it depends on the situation, when i see a capital letter i know its the end of a sentence, i hate it when people put all the letters in capitals though, one or two is good, but all, whats the point.

Beginning sentences with them make paragraphs easier to read.

Exactly.

I hate sentences without capitals, actually... I´m so paranoid about it that even on my computer savegame names I use capitals :D

Text looks a lot better to me if the first letter of every sentence is capitalized. It looks more professional, I suppose. I hate what the internet is doing to written text with shorthand and other things.

For me it's prolly a habbit.... Though I must say That as most people generally only leave one space after a period, spotting a full stop when scanning a paragraph isn't as easy as it may seem....

So the gist is caps are good for when you're scanning through documents....

Originally posted by Oyo
HA! I ALWAYS, no matter what, space two after ending sentence marks, those of you who don't can just leave UM now :mad:

Same here... I picked that up in typing class... (The ... I just started doing one day for no apparent reason, heh heh...)

I avoid doing "..." at all costs, but sometimes it fits. It's a lot better to just use a period when your thought train shifts or what not.

The worst is...

"HEY HOW R U DOING?!!!IM ALLRIGHT BUT I DONT HAVE NUFFIN TO DO OR SUMTIN,,,,,,, SO LIKE AGE/SEX/LOC?!?!?DO YOU HAVE A PIC??!?!?!WHAT DO YOU LOOK LIKE,,,,,,, I HOPE YOU ARE TALL AND STUFF HUHUHHUH!!!"

You must really hate my gut OYO..... I used to have this problem under control , but it's blown out of all proportions in the last year or so......

I...just...can't.........STOP

Oh, AND I don't do the double space thing ether... I must be a heathen. :cry: