Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious
Earache Records - 1991
By Adam McAuley

CarcassDescanting.jpg

This would be the most beautiful step in Carcass' progression, the piece of the puzzle where everything undeniably came together. They had hinted at the addition of melody on Symphonies of Sickness, but on Necroticism it was melded perfectly with brutality into a masterpiece that has, in my opinion, yet to be equalled.

Similar medical dictionary type lyrics can be found on this album, and they're as brilliant here as on the predecessors. As an example, one of my favorite lines from the CD is from "Inpropagation": "Bio-organic ebullition, bones tar, tallow dehydrates. For my deleterious horticulture, so that I may cultivate." Don't be suprised if your vocabulary improves after listening to Necroticism. The vocals themselves are similarly excellent; Jeff Walker displays a wide range of skill from high-pitched snarling to the occasional deep growl. Compositions are more complex than on any other Carcass work and show a nice penchant for being groovy without becoming overly simple or repetitive. The leads are compelling, and offer a perfect melodic counterpoint to the generally more brutal verse segments, while drummer Ken Owen puts on a sterling performance of tasty fills and solid double bass work.

Hard to pick out a highlight, but some personal faves include "Inpropagation", which serves as a nice blueprint for things to come, "Pedigree Butchery", with its subtle acoustic guitar work, the irresistable groove inducing "Carneous Cacoffiny", and the killer closing cut "Forensic Clinicism/The Sanguine Article". Many people point to "Corporal Jigsaw Quandry" as their favorite, but I found the other tracks here to be equally outstanding. This is the only Carcass album that can be properly considered death metal, more specifically gore metal, as previous works had more of a grind tendency and later releases showed an even greater affinity for melody. It's also the most brilliant album of the band's career; revolutionary, unsurpassed and essential.

9.9/10

Official Earache Records Website

This review alone made me go out and buy the cd! I really enjoyed the quoting of song lyrics.

Although Heartwork is my favorite Carcass, there is no denying the raw power of Necroticism.

It's a tough call, but this is probably the best Carcass album. It just totally rules!! By the way, Bill Steer did the real deep growling on this album, and the previous albums. Just watch the "Wake Up and Smell the Carcass" video and you can see him doing them. One of my favorite things about this album besides the obvious (the music) is the guy speaking before Symposium of Sickness.

"That's why I find it so amusing, that the latter day saints of our business, one attribute to me motives that just aren't there, and two accuse me of corrupting of corrupting morality, which I wish I had the power to do........Prepare to DIE!!!"

I think that Necroticism's power lies in it's magnificent structure. Simply, no Carcass album flows so nicely as this one (although Heartwork comes close). What is even more amazing is that the addition of the Tools Of The Trade tracks for the CD version didn't interrupt the structure one bit, but actually added to it.