AugDawgs review of "Carcass, Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious"

augdawg2

F.U.2 Master
Feb 6, 2002
Dawgland
www.geocities.com
A true death metal classic for any generation!
Oct 01 '02

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Perhaps the most underated death metal album of all time!

Cons
That it has to end.

The Bottom Line
If they could measure power in music, this album would have enough to light up New York city!

Carcass may have been one of the best, and unknown Death Metal bands ever. They disbanded back in 1996 but their gory legacy remains. Anybody that likes death metal should certainly checkout their best album, Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious. This album simply rules, hands down! Here are all the bloody details on this true Death Metal classic!

Carcass, Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious

1-Inpropagation: This song simply crushes, and begins with these insane samples of some lady explaining the process of decay, and how a autopsy must be performed to verify if the victim was murdered, and then the incredible Carcass guitar tone rips into your speakers(perhaps one of the heaviest sounding guitars ever! Jeff Walker(bass & vocals) rips into his witch type sounding vocals and is also backed up by the other members of the band for this great sounding death metal duo on vocals that can only be described as %100 Death! Incredible tempo changes throughout this 6 minute plus masterpiece! The lyrical content is out of this world; it's about a guy that gathers bodies to burn them to ash and use the ashes to fertilize his secret garden! This stuff is out there, and very creative. Many of you have heard of the great Bill Steer(lead guitarist), and he hits us with some great lead melodies!

2-Corporal Jigsore Quandary: This riff is plain awesome, this may be the best song on the album(but their all good), just wait till you hear the riff, a incredible cross between a true death metal sound and perhaps a thrash riff. The lyrical content on this one gets even more gorified! Really the lyrics could be misplaced as being about Dr. Frankenstein as they suggest the problems of taking apart a human body, and all the trouble you go through to put the parts back together! Bill Steer is at it again with his great solo melodies(which is awesome cause they are so sweet, they almost sound out of place for a death metal this brutal!).

3-Symposium of Sickness: Wow, this riff explodes into a Blast Beat grind core style and is all over the place! The drum changes in this song must have given Ken Owens a big headache to learn! The song dips between the opening blast beat sound and more of a mid tempo grinding affair that crushes skulls! Another great solo by Steer on this one! Steer really could be Death Metals secret weapon. Lyrically content on this one seems to be about the life of a mortician. I would have to say that the most amazing thing about this tune is “How the hell did they write it?”. The tempo changes could have only been written by a madman or a true genius!

4-Pedigree Butchery: Nice opening riff to this tune, and there is a great mid tempo grinding riff that stops to hear a great acoustic guitar line here and there! Who the hell would have done this with Death Metal! Another gruesome topic lyrically(ofcourse) as this song seems to be about a butcher that kills humans for use in his dog food! Yes indeed folks this is why the song is called Pedigree Butchery! Yet another crushing song to grace this album!

5-Incarnated Solvent Abuse: Wow, this riff is certainly one of the best on the album! My god! what the hell was Carcass thinking when they wrote the lyrics to these songs? Lyrically this song seems to be about someone that has huffed glue for his entire life and when the autopsy is done there is nothing left of the victims corpse but Glue Fumes! Once again, Bill Steer’s incredible guitar leads are all over this track!

6-Carneous Cacoffiny: This is actually more of a slower paced riff, but oozes with heaviness! Producer Collin Richardson certainly deserves a award for the incredible sound that he helps Carcass achieve on this album! Mid way through the track the tempo takes off in dramatic Death Metal fashion! Lyrically, this song discusses many musical terms and uses them in a way that describes a persons demise! Here is a sample lyric so you can’t get the idea I’m getting at here “With deadly dynamics, you’re dead, buried and barred, your remains dampened and fingered, your mortal coil is barbed, the death bells are peeling, ringing out as you flake, shrieking out their recitals, a celebration of your wake!” This song starts off kinda slow but quickly changes into a charging out of control metal beast! Great song all in all!

7-Lavaging Expectorate of Lysergide composition: Another great opening riff that actually borders between heavy thrash and Death Metal! Time changes really seem to be the trade mark of this album, and this song is no exception! Honestly, this song changes so much( as do other songs on the album) that it could be about 10 songs for most other bands!

8-Forensic Clinicism/The Sangiune Article: This riff simple explodes at great speed and heaviness! Lyrically, this song seems to be about yet another madman that is examining bodies and experimenting with the corpses! Here is a sample of the lyrics, “Welcome to my theatre, the stage upon which I act, Turning in a sumptuous performance, heiniously I hew and gash, curning out a deep gulch, the incision a major kick, a quick toke of nitrous oxide is how I get my kicks!” All in all this yet another great tune, one which changes tempos about 10 times throughout the song. A perfect way to end a nearly perfect album!

Overall, “Carcass, Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious” is a incredible death metal album and it is certainly one that should go in almost any death metal fans top ten list! About the only thing that will leave listeners confused are the lyrics! Carcass must have had a medical dictionary sitting by them when they were writing the lyrics for this album, cause every other word on this album is a medical term! Carcass certainly did their homework on this effort, and it shows!

AugDawg rating 9 out of 10!

Recommended
Yes

Cheerz fellow Carcass fans!

AugDawg