Carvin DC727?

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Anyone had any experience with these?

The opportunity to purchase one of these may have come up and I'm trying to work out if I should or not...

It's in the U.S. though, and I've never purchased anything like this before from overseas...

Or alternatively, has anyone had one made for their own specs? I didn't realise this could be done, perhaps this would be better?

This is a list of specs I came up with on their website:

LN - Floyd Rose Locking Nut
-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
QSR - Ruby Red Stain Quilt
BST - Blackburst Edges
5MW - Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes
NS - Neck Covered By Optional Top Wood
TN - Tung Oil Satin Finish Back Of Neck
-PH - Headstock To Match Body Color (Standard)
-EB - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard)
6100 - Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
-C26B - C26 Bridge Pickup
-C26N - C26 Neck Pickup
-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)
G - Gold Hardware
-1056 - Elixer Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)
WL - White Logo
HC11 - Form-Fitted ABS Hardshell Case

Also, does anyone happen to know what is the 'Deep Triple Step Stain/Color Process'? What difference does it make? Also 'Neck covered by optional topwood'? Not sure exactly what that means...

Carvin guitars are incredible. They are on-par quality wise with guitars two or three times their cost, but since you are cutting out any kind of middle-man, you save a fortune. I haven't played the DC727, but have played several of their other guitars and can attest that they are great instruments.

For more info on their building processes, request that DVD they offer on their website. It's free, but I don't know if they'll ship to Australia. Looking at the specs you made, the one thing I'd reconsider is the blackburst edge. Take a look at some of their work. In my opinion they don't do bursts all that well (I've seen some great ones, but the majority are meh).

So you would really recommend a Carvin? I played my friends DC 727 and it was the most horrible feeling guitar I have ever played. I was just on the Carvin site and built a custom DC 747 for about $1200. I may have to go with that instead of a Universe, which is about a grand more.:erk:

I think any guitar, from any brand has potential to be a horrible feeling instrument. Beyond differences in set-up, specs, and the occasional dud that every company has once in a while, there's also the issue of personal preference. I, for example, have never played a Taylor acoustic I liked, think ESP/LTD feel like children's toys, and I think the overwhelming majority of marshall amps serve better as paperweights than as anything a guitar should be played through:). One great thing with Carvin is the return policy. I think you have 30 days upon receiving it to decide if you like it or not. Aside from shipping, there's no harm in at least trying it out. They don't retain value well though, that's for sure.

I'm actually considering getting one of the CT6's (prs copy) sometime down the road. I played one once and it slayed any PRS I've ever touched, for well under half of the pricetag of a PRS.

Well, Meedley, I trust your opinion so I think I'll go with a carvin as soon as I can get a new guitar. They're a lot cheaper than most others I have been looking at.

If not for the return policy (which is actually 10 days, not 30...oops) and the relatively quick turnover for custom work, I'd be more hesitent to suggest giving them a chance...but you don't have all too much to lose if you think about it so I think at the very least, it'd be worth it to at least try one out. Aren't you a T-mac fan anyway? Don't you know if you get a guitar like his, you'll play exactly like him?

Cool! I have always had trouble with his solos on the PX stuff. It seems a TMac VII is the key!

Have you ever played a Universe before? I'm actually just looking around now at guitars and out of all of them the UV777 is the most hypnotizing. I have actually been staring at the eye for an hour now..:err:

Yep. Only the current model though (UV777bk i think it is) and it was before they started using the edge pro on all models, so it was still the lo-pro 7 if I'm not mistaken. I liked it a lot. Being a Jem player at the time (still am....though it's been slightly demoted since I got my Musicman), it was a very comfortable transition. The one I played sounded great acoustically and I loved the stock electronics. It had an insanely tight low-end...not my thing as much these days as it used to be, but killer nonetheless. It had good dynamics too. I think the looks of it and the typical mustical stylings of people who play them sort of pigeon-hole them as being only a metal guitar, whereas they are actually more versatile.

If I were looking for a 7-string right now...the only things that would keep the UV from being a contender are A) price and B) aesthetics. They've gotten quite overpriced in recent years. Aesthetically, I think it's cool but it's right on the border between being something that could come off as cool and classy and something that is cheesy and overstated. I'd like to have a 7 string again partly for heavy stuff....but largely because of the expanded options for chord voicings and bassline/comping stuff. If I could have any seven string though...I'd buy back my S7420fm that I sold to get my musicman. I don't regret that for a second as the MM is the best guitar I've ever played, but as far as 7 strings go, that thing was the shit. The trem was meh (lo-TRS...not so good) but I'm not much of a trem guy anyway.

I do suggest if you go with a UV in the long run, get it from Rich Harris at Ibanezrules.com. He does immaculate setups on all the guitars he sells and wont sell you anything other than the best. He comes off as a prick on his website and on his forum posts (jemsite), but he's a standup guy and does great business and even better work. If you don't buy from him, I at least HIGHLY reccomend that you order a set of locking trem studs and install them yourself. You can read more about those and why you should get them at his site.

Ok, thanks for the info. I have actually read a lot of Rich's stuff on Ibanezrules.com. He currently has two UV777's in stock, but 2 grand now all up front is a bit too much now. I think a guitar center around me has one, I'll have to take a trip out and play it one day this week. I have been using a PGM 30 and I love it so much, but after just fixing up my RG 7420 I realized how much I enjoy having 7 strings.

Carvin guitars are incredible. They are on-par quality wise with guitars two or three times their cost, but since you are cutting out any kind of middle-man, you save a fortune. I haven't played the DC727, but have played several of their other guitars and can attest that they are great instruments.

For more info on their building processes, request that DVD they offer on their website. It's free, but I don't know if they'll ship to Australia. Looking at the specs you made, the one thing I'd reconsider is the blackburst edge. Take a look at some of their work. In my opinion they don't do bursts all that well (I've seen some great ones, but the majority are meh).

Yeah, I saw that dvd, but its US only... :erk:

I'm pretty keen though!

If not for the return policy (which is actually 10 days, not 30...oops) and the relatively quick turnover for custom work, I'd be more hesitent to suggest giving them a chance...but you don't have all too much to lose if you think about it so I think at the very least, it'd be worth it to at least try one out. Aren't you a T-mac fan anyway? Don't you know if you get a guitar like his, you'll play exactly like him?

Really? I love T-Mac!!11!! :D

:lol:

But seriously, T-Mac's Carvin was the first 7 string I ever saw, and he is awesome, so it would be quite an appropriate choice I feel... :cool:

I think any guitar, from any brand has potential to be a horrible feeling instrument. Beyond differences in set-up, specs, and the occasional dud that every company has once in a while, there's also the issue of personal preference. I, for example, have never played a Taylor acoustic I liked, think ESP/LTD feel like children's toys, and I think the overwhelming majority of marshall amps serve better as paperweights than as anything a guitar should be played through:). One great thing with Carvin is the return policy. I think you have 30 days upon receiving it to decide if you like it or not. Aside from shipping, there's no harm in at least trying it out. They don't retain value well though, that's for sure.

I'm actually considering getting one of the CT6's (prs copy) sometime down the road. I played one once and it slayed any PRS I've ever touched, for well under half of the pricetag of a PRS.

I know what you mean about the ESP/LTD...I have one as a knock around guitar and I agree on the Marshall comment as well.

My old Carvin DC200 is awesome!

I'm currently considering a Carvin DC727 also. Pretty much the same specs as you, colour as well, until I saw a picture of one and it wasn't what I'd want it to be, a bit too brown for my liking.

http://www.daveterry.com/guitars/DC727/

I'd rather spring for the Crimson Red, as it seems more red. However, I'm now also considering a Sapphire or Purple flametop with burst, or maybe even a burts-less Black Stain quilt top. I'm thinking either of those colours with a Birdseye Maple fretboard. I'm fairly sure I'm going to get a pair, and my other will be solid White/White with black hardware with Ebony fretboard.

I'd get them both made with Swamp Ash bodies and bare Maple necks.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find segments of that DVD on Youtube, so no need to order!

Let us know if you make a decision!