Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Cathedral – The Garden Of Unearthly Delights
Nuclear Blast Records – NB 1199-2 - 2005
By Nathan Pearce

cathedralgardencover.jpg

Cathedral seems to be fairly consistent in releasing a new album, or at least an EP, every couple of years or so; however, the consistency in musical style seems to be less reliable. As long as you’re not an old fart that never wants your favorite band to “change”, Cathedral’s ability to morph their musical output is a nice surprise from album to album.

While Cathedral has some obvious high-points in their legendary career (Forrest of Equilibrium, The Ethereal Mirror, Entyme), the band has also been known to throw out some odd musical outings at times (Supernatural Birth Machine),and I often find myself waiting for a review or at least a description of the album before I spend my money. Nonetheless, I’m still the proud owner of pretty much everything Cathedral has ever recorded.

So how does The Garden Of Unearthly Delights match up to their past efforts? Well, obviously it is different. It is easily their most traditional-metal sounding album; yet it maintains the massive, lumbering feel that has become their trademark sound. Cathedral could never be simply described as a doom metal band, and The Garden Of Unearthly Delights only adds to that fact. Some might call this album more progressive than their past efforts, and some might say it’s less progressive. In fact, both statements are true. While ‘The Garden’ is a monstrous 27 minute epic displaying the meandering, dynamic style Cathedral fans love so much about the band, almost every other song on the album has a very focused and driven feel to it.

For those unfamiliar with Cathedral, this album would be a great starting point. But be warned that other albums by the band are entirely different (although the Cathedral sound and style is still there). Cathedral isn’t happy simply creating Forrest of Equilibtium part 2, and if you don’t realize that, you shouldn’t be allowed to listen to the band. The Garden Of Unearthly Delights is yet another excellent album from a band that seems to enjoy confusing fans. If you always wished Cathedral were a little more traditional and a little less doom sounding, this album is exactly what you need.

8.5/10

Cathedral’s Official Website
Nuclear Blast Records’ Official Website

Very strong indeed, with perfect production. I'm not sure I'd call these guys doom metal anymore, because several of the tracks like "Oro the Manslayer" and "On Azreal's Wings" were pretty fast. Only very occasionally does the pace get real sluggish.

I thought "The Garden" was a bit too much but this is a killer album all in all...:headbang:

this sounds very intriguing indeed! i lost interest in cathedral a while back, but their last album sparked up my interest in this band again. and on an amusing side note, lee dorrian tried to hit on a good friend of mine, his only line consisting of “but i’m the singer for cathedral!” :erk:

It's boring, if you asked me. Their earlier stuff blows this away. Maybe it's because I was listening to it at night, but the album just seems really stale, bland, and boring. I'm not sure if "focused and driven" is the right choice of words, it seemed very formulaic and dull to me. The riffs weren't anything to write home about either.