Cathedral's upcoming album

nomisofsiman

Sep 19, 2008
Wheaton, IL
I think Cathedral has been talked about briefly before. This album looks very promising, yet ambitious as it is two discs.

"Veteran British doom/stoner band CATHEDRAL will release its ninth full-length album and second for the Nuclear Blast label, "The Guessing Game", on March 26 in Europe and on April 20 in North America.

Produced once again by Warren Riker (DOWN, CROWBAR), who also took care of the band's last effort, "The Garden Of Unearthly Delights", in 2005, "The Guessing Game" is one wild and unpredictable ride with one of the most unique and exciting acts the metal genre has got to offer! For the first time in the band's history, they have recorded a double album that boasts thirteen tracks offering a colourful variety of musical styles and lyrical themes: "Requiem For The Voiceless", for example, is pure, down 'n' out crawling doom — and the first animal-rights song in doom metal history! Then you'll get classic stomping and grooving CATHEDRAL material with the catchy "Painting In The Dark", plus many songs wading through psychedelic and proggy waters — especially "Funeral Of Dreams", featuring none other than Alison O' Donnell of MELLOW CANDLE ('70s Irish folk rock band) fame doing guest vocals.

It comes as no surprise that this time around CATHEDRAL went as far as to include exotic instrumentation such as Mellotron and Sitar. And pay special attention to the lyrics of "Journeys Into Jade": Lee Dorrian and Co. are celebrating 20 years of CATHEDRAL with this one!

And what a way to celebrate this anniversary: traditional CATHEDRAL cover artist Dave Patchett came up with one of his finest artworks in the band's history, mirroring the themes and musical quirkiness of the album itself.

"The Guessing Game" track listing:

Disc One:

01. Immaculate Misconception
02. Funeral Of Dreams
03. Painting In The Dark
04. Death Of An Anarchist
05. The Guessing Game
06. Edwige's Eyes
07. Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine

Disc Two:

01. One Dimensional People
02. Casket Chasers
03. La Noche Del Buque Maldito (aka Ghost Ship Of The Blind Dead)
04. The Running Man
05. Requiem For The Voiceless
06. Journeys Into Jad

Last year, Night Of The Vinyl Dead Records released CATHEDRAL's "Caravan Beyond Redemption" album on limited-edition double splatter vinyl with a gatefold cover. The LP, which was originally released by Earache in 1998, was limited to 500 copies."

If you're doing the DOOM, try an album called Forest of Equilibrium. It's pleasantly dim and grim :)
However, for a more representative entry point to Cathedral in general, The Ethereal Mirror or The Carnival Bizarre are probably more accessible.

Prog in MDB????? Not really.
Though I really wouldn't call MDB a doom band, more of a melancholy death metal band, or a dark metal band, that is often misclassified as doom.

Prog in MDB????? Not really.
Though I really wouldn't call MDB a doom band, more of a melancholy death metal band, or a dark metal band, that is often misclassified as doom.

Ha! Well, I don't know about death as they don't really utilize much death vocals...at least not as much anymore. I guess not prog, they just do epic songs. I still consider them doom though, but not like Candlemass or anything, which without question is the best doom band period. They're a completely different subgenre of doom, but I would argue that when a lot of people think of doom, they think more towards the heavier/melancholy/slow version of doom. Then again, my views might be skewed as MDB is the first doom band I got into that got me into all the other versions of doom. haha.

...along with Solitude Aeturnus. Let's not overlook their greatness. :worship:

~Brian~

While I do like Solitude A a bunch, they are more B or C level.

You guys want some kick ass newer doom, check out HOUR OF 13.

They have a killer debut disc on SHADOW KINGDOM, and have a newer one coming out this year as well. :headbang:

Ha! I don't know the story. Did they have a falling out?
I noticed their new one is on another label.

Singer Phil wanted to keep his kvlt true-ness by not reissuing Hour of 13's s/t after it went out of stock and after SKR already paid for and had the new reissue, and said he never wanted it etc. he's a faggot and that band is kinda gay, but I do like the debut a lot

Place of Skulls played at Lollapalooza???
Are you sure???

Ok, just checked the Lolla 2009 lineup.
There was a band called BAND OF SKULLS...........

Think you got these 2 confused!