Cauldron - Burning Fortune

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I don't get the hype around this band. I've even seen them live and they bored the pants off me. This is a song off their new album and Earache is bigging up to be the next big retro thing but it sounds way too crappy to me. I just don't get it with this band - they sound so monotone and almost amateurish. There are a ton of better retro bands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not crazy about them, but think they're good. I'll be seeing them live for the first time next Thursday in a club over here. Should be fine, except for the local death metal band opening...

don't have the new one yet, but definitely dug the first one. Would like to catch 'em live at some point.

Wow - surprised to see mostly negative comments on Cauldron. The last year or so, I've really been back into old-school straight ahead, no-frills heavy metal (maybe some nostalgia from growing up in the 80's). I discovered Cauldron through a Keep It True video, ordered their EP, and have been hooked ever since. Thought the first full-length was great. Saw 'em twice in Chicago (with Enforcer at a small Polish bar) and then opening for Municipal Waste at Subterranean. They ruled both times.

Just got the new album yesterday. After two spins, it's pretty good, but not as good as Chained to the Nite. Perhaps it will continue to grow on me. I'd definitely check them out live again.

Wow - surprised to see mostly negative comments on Cauldron. The last year or so, I've really been back into old-school straight ahead, no-frills heavy metal (maybe some nostalgia from growing up in the 80's). I discovered Cauldron through a Keep It True video, ordered their EP, and have been hooked ever since. Thought the first full-length was great. Saw 'em twice in Chicago (with Enforcer at a small Polish bar) and then opening for Municipal Waste at Subterranean. They ruled both times.

Just got the new album yesterday. After two spins, it's pretty good, but not as good as Chained to the Nite. Perhaps it will continue to grow on me. I'd definitely check them out live again.

I was at both of those shows too. That time with Enforcer and High Spirits is in my top 10 shows of all time. It was so much fun.

This sounds pretty good to me.
Well, of course bands like this are going to receive backlash since the mainstream has opened up to anything that could be considered "retro".

Labels need to keep afloat so they are going with the trend.
It's why Metal Blade distributes Rise Above in the States, and Earache signed Hour of 13.

When Hour of 13's debut came out, do you think anyone at Earache ever even heard of them? I highly doubt it.

I think it's cool though that you can more easily find stuff like Electric Wizard, Ghost, etc, in stores here in the States (Not that most people truly buy CDs in stores anymore).

I listened to it today. My main issue is that all the songs have the same feel and there is not much difference between them. It was cool to hear them cover HALLOWEEN's "I Confess" though.

This sounds pretty good to me.
Well, of course bands like this are going to receive backlash since the mainstream has opened up to anything that could be considered "retro".

Labels need to keep afloat so they are going with the trend.
It's why Metal Blade distributes Rise Above in the States, and Earache signed Hour of 13.

When Hour of 13's debut came out, do you think anyone at Earache ever even heard of them? I highly doubt it.

I think it's cool though that you can more easily find stuff like Electric Wizard, Ghost, etc, in stores here in the States (Not that most people truly buy CDs in stores anymore).

lol at calling a record that probably won't sell more than 5-7,000 units in its cycle "mainstream". Earache is NOT making money off this band dude. In fact, they make more money reissuing Necroticism or Blessed Are The Sick than Cauldron and Hour of 13 combined.

I loved the first disc. About to give the new one a spin as we speak.

I mean it's true to an extent. However, if you seriously think they signed Hour of 13 and Cauldron because they were going to break out like The Sword did I think you're deluding yourself mang. They don't make shit out of either band. Hour of 13 played like 2 shows in their entire span as a band so far right? lol

Yes, but there is a shitload of hype over HOUR OF 13. I love them personally, but once more people hear them since the tunes will be more readily available, the COTD will write them off, which is a shame. Hopefully not.

Also, it's hard to say who will break out and who won't.

Shit - I bet GHOST could be pretty damn big actually if marketed properly.
Their tunes could fit easily into rock radio.

Wouldn't it be awesome to flip the channels, and hear..."Luciferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! We are here!!!" :)

Lots of labels are always looking for the next big thing or new genre to exploit. Look at all the folk metal bands that were signed in the past few years. Skyforger to Metal Blade. Nuclear Blast signed a bunch. Now retro NWOBHM and doom are the "new" thing. Sure labels are going to snatch them up. Why would you not? And like always....when interest in this style drops those bands will get dropped. This isnt a surprise these bands are getting signed and distributed.

Yes, but there is a shitload of hype over HOUR OF 13. I love them personally, but once more people hear them since the tunes will be more readily available, the COTD will write them off, which is a shame. Hopefully not.

Also, it's hard to say who will break out and who won't.

Shit - I bet GHOST could be pretty damn big actually if marketed properly.
Their tunes could fit easily into rock radio.

Wouldn't it be awesome to flip the channels, and hear..."Luciferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! We are here!!!" :)

Ghost will be huge in a few years, it's actually pretty obvious at this point. I mean they just got the Paradise Lost European tour.