__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Cavalar – As A Metal Of Fact
Self-released – 2006
By Russell Garwood

cavalar.jpg

When most of the world’s focus on Brazil is aimed squarely at their football team (they’re beating Japan 4 – 1 at the time of writing!) Cavalar act as a timely reminder there is more to their country than football. But, just like football, the band’s origins lie in the UK; As A Metal Of Fact is an lesson in Sabbath worship. Think hard rock, with Ozzy-inspired vocals, riff-laden guitars, strong drumming and prominent bass responsible for the groove. All of this is found within a stoner/doom tinged exterior. It’s clear originality isn’t high on the band’s list of priorities, and this taken into account, they do well – their songs are accessible and a lot of fun, performances tight and considered, and enthusiasm overflowing. Complete this with decent production and a very professional self-release, and you have a solid album.

This said, with a somewhat formulaic approach, As A Metal Of Fact can feel samey after a while. Much like an England football match – the first half proves entertaining, absorbing and provides a lot of promise, but the second half is a less captivating, hit and miss affair. So, to continue flogging a dead horse (or football analogy - hey, the world cup will be over in a few weeks, I’m going to make the most of it…), at the moment we’re looking at some quarter finalists here; they’re pretty good, but just missing something. With a little time, development and originality however, just like their native football team, Cavalar’s could be a force to be reckoned with. Thumbs up for Sabbath fans.

6.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Cavalar website

Hmmm.... I've never been much of a Sabbath fan. Maybe I shouldn't be saying that, eh? :) I don't like football either, heh! Oh, but that's a sweet review you've got there, yup... always got to respect the self-released chaps, regardless of personal tastes. :)