CD haul/ Melissa remaster

Evil?

omghaxlol!1
Jun 25, 2005
Grand Haven, MI
So I pick up my paycheck friday. Fast foward to sunday and i have spent it all... After fueling up and taking a trip to the cd shop and I am broke until my next payday :erk:

Splurged a lil this week and picked up six cd's one of which being Mercyful Fates Melissa re-release. I know this was mentioned a few weeks ago so I wanted to give a lil review. Audio quality is great. Sounds wonderfull. Love the sound and love the album. I was really excited about the dvd and when i popped it in I was a lil suprised by it's contents. The footage is really low quality and the sound is a bit grating. I was expecting a bigger show in a bigger venue, but what it is, is three songs done in a tiny tiny club like place. The stage is so small most of the band members don't have much space to move. According to The Kings audio commentary (which is pretty cool) the show was filmed either the spring before signing to roadrunner and recording Melissa, or immediatly after signing the deal but still pre-Melissa. My dissapointment faded after I relised it was pretty cool getting ot see the band in this early stage. Kings make-up is much more basic as well.

I also picked up the new Falconer, Halford: Live insurection, Suffocation:Human Waste, King Diamond: Abigail II, and Jag Panzer: Thane to the Throne. :headbang:

You know, I've been real slow on the Melissa thing. That will be corrected this weekend though, as a trip to Amoeba is planned. Can't wait.

Well, it is one of my favorites of all time, to clarify. Only that I knew about - and got really excited about - the reissue, only to somehow ignore it on its release. I guess there were other things I was buying, or doing. Anyway, I gots to see me that DVD!

Any bonus tracks on the Melissa reissue? (or is it just the dvd concert?)

Cool. I think I have a bootleg w/ the 2 demos on it.
How do the BBC Sessions sound? Are those actual in-studio BBC Sessions, or BBC concert footage?

Evil? said:
I was really excited about the dvd and when i popped it in I was a lil suprised by it's contents. The footage is really low quality and the sound is a bit grating. I was expecting a bigger show in a bigger venue, but what it is, is three songs done in a tiny tiny club like place. The stage is so small most of the band members don't have much space to move. According to The Kings audio commentary (which is pretty cool) the show was filmed either the spring before signing to roadrunner and recording Melissa, or immediatly after signing the deal but still pre-Melissa. My dissapointment faded after I relised it was pretty cool getting ot see the band in this early stage. Kings make-up is much more basic as well.

Well, you couldn't expect nothing more than that for an unsigned band in 1982. As much as they later proved themselves as one of metal's cornerstones, the quality and the venue size was pretty predictable actually... It's more of a collector's and historical value than anything else. I mean, it isn't Rock In Rio in any aspect, but I suppose it has some spontaneous charm to it that makes it worthwhile...

Dodens Grav said:
It'd be awesome if it was more than three songs. The Rerelease of Abigail will be a full concert though, which will be awesome! I'll have to get that too, though I'm pretty sure there are no bonus tracks that weren't on the last reissue, but no big deal for the awesome DVD.

There's going to be a rerelease of Abigail with dvd? :OMG:
WHEN??!!

Thanks! Good to be here. I just had an old school couple weeks a few weeks ago, with some old Slayer, Overkill, Mercyful Fate, Forced Entry, Maiden, etc. Then the new Opeth came out and I've only listened to that for the past couple weeks. Have to put on something old tonight, though.

Bungle said:
Thanks! Good to be here. I just had an old school couple weeks a few weeks ago, with some old Slayer, Overkill, Mercyful Fate, Forced Entry, Maiden, etc. Then the new Opeth came out and I've only listened to that for the past couple weeks. Have to put on something old tonight, though.

I like to mix it up as much as possible. Tonight I have been listing to the new Symphorce, the new Nevermore and Anacrusis. At the moment I am playing Spheric Universe Experience's debut album "Mental Torments".

I hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

Bungle said:

You'll find there are more than a couple Opeth fans here too. Also, keep in mind that old-school can just mean bands with old-school influences. By no means do you have to come here and talk of nothing but Black Sabbath. And since "old-school influences," is a pretty subjective term, you should damned well feel allowed to talk about any band you like.

ElectricWiz said:
You'll find there are more than a couple Opeth fans here too. Also, keep in mind that old-school can just mean bands with old-school influences. By no means do you have to come here and talk of nothing but Black Sabbath. And since "old-school influences," is a pretty subjective term, you should damned well feel allowed to talk about any band you like.

FYI, love your avatar. Maybe that will be the old school album I listen to tonight!! Can't beat that first disc.