CD Length!!!

mickfury

New Metal Member
Jun 29, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
I know everyone has different preferences, but here goes
For a thrash CD, what would you say would be a good length???
I know it would depend on the band, but say someone you like.
I would say about 40 to 45 minutes :Smokedev:

That's a good playing time Mick. In fact I don't think bands should be allowed to make albums that go for longer than 45 minutes. There are exceptions of course, but people tend to tune out after that long, so anything after the 45 minute mark often doesn't get appreciated as much as, say, the first 4 or 5 songs.

I reckon the most classic thrash albums usually come in between 30 and 35 minutes. I think thrash is too intense on a listener to go on much more than that without it becoming boring. Even if the songs at the end of the album are great, by the time the listener gets to them, they are mentally too tired to appreciate them. It's like a really heavy rain, at first you go "FUCK, it's hammering down outside!!", then after a while it just becomes background noise.

I think two of my personal faves that fall under 35minutes would be Megadeth's Rust In Peace, and Slayer's Reign in Blood.:headbang:

The new Dungeon album clocks in at about 61 minutes including 2 covers + intro's, etc. So just pure original songs would come in at about 45 - 50 minutes tops.

We're a kind of power/thrash band so I guess we sort of fit into the topic here but I think due to the intensity of a lot of heavier thrash bands, 45 minutes is about the mark I'd set too before it got a little overwhelming...