Length of time to record one metal song

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I know this is pretty vague but what would you guys say if the average length of time to record one metal song in its entirety. At least a ballpark figure. Also, if you guys were to charge by the song instead of by the hour, how much editing would you guys be willing to do. How long and what kind? Would you go to great lengths to make a solid drum track if the drummer wasn't very good, etc? Thanks.

Well, this is my hobby and it is something that I love to do, so any extra money I can make at it is an added bonus for me. I charge $50 per song. It really should be more than that though. I do take the time to do drum edits, but I usually trigger midi drums from the audio transients, which (for me at least) makes edits easier. Id say it usually takes me between 4-7 hours per song depending on the skill of the band.

Edit to add: BTW, if your name is going on it, you should.do your best no matter what. Word of mouth will bring more bands your way, so dont cut anyone short!!!

okay so 30 hours is insane then? That's what one dude was telling me he thinks it should take for a quality professional recording. Of course I'm not even a professional but still..

oh and just to be clear I'm talking about everything (tracking, mixing, editing, etc)

I'm working on my first paid project now. It took us 26 hours to track 6 songs and that was rushing it. I took some performances that I really shouldn't have but was running out of time. Close miced the shells and used a program to trigger samples and listened to an overhead mix to program the cymbals. I'd say the drums took 5-6 hours to edit. Paid to have the guitars edited so I can't really say on that. My deadline is coming up in a week and in not even to the mixing stage yet. Its hard to pull this off with a full time job.

I'm working on my first paid project now. It took us 26 hours to track 6 songs and that was rushing it. I took some performances that I really shouldn't have but was running out of time. Close miced the shells and used a program to trigger samples and listened to an overhead mix to program the cymbals. I'd say the drums took 5-6 hours to edit. Paid to have the guitars edited so I can't really say on that. My deadline is coming up in a week and in not even to the mixing stage yet. Its hard to pull this off with a full time job.

Just out of curiosity, since this is something I DO want to work with in the future, how did you get that first paid job? Are they friends of yours or did you message them and ask to work with them or did they message you? Just curious!

In my experience if you're not cutting corners bands usually average about 2-3 days (16-24 hours) per song - setup, recording, editing/programming, mixing, and mastering. Some take more, some take less. Depending on the production style and complexity, 30 hours isn't out of the question, but it better sound GOOODDD.

thanks guys. If you want to get customers I would offer a band to record a few songs for free. That will attract them in the first place and then if you are good, it will spread and others will want record with you. That's what is happening for me. I'm recording this one bands whole album for free and then other bands that they know now know about me and are offering to pay.

what would you do if a band isn't very good or prepared and you are just starting out. WOuld you spends hours and hours editing their performances or would you just tell them they need to come back? Also, is constructing drum parts for bands who didn't play the parts correctly considered extreme? WOuld it be something you would do if you were starting out and charging by the song?

Last time I was in a band and we self-produced a demo of 3 songs, it took two whole days to get it done. Mostly drum shit, iirc. Not a bad player, just all the set up time, positioning mics, tuning and doing several takes to comp. Guitars were a breeze since we knew the material really well and had been playing the songs for years. Be prepared and be able to do that shit to a click track, it'll go fast.

okay so 30 hours is insane then? That's what one dude was telling me he thinks it should take for a quality professional recording. Of course I'm not even a professional but still..

that's reasonable enough if you're taking tracking/mixing/mastering into account

Just out of curiosity, since this is something I DO want to work with in the future, how did you get that first paid job? Are they friends of yours or did you message them and ask to work with them or did they message you? Just curious!

Well I sort of knew them prior to recording. They are a local band and had my band on two of their shows. They heard the single that I tracked/edited/mixed for my band and got in touch with me. I gave them a reasonable price since they are my first clients and that's pretty much it. Unfortunately they gave me a short deadline so I can't put as much time into it as I would like.
I'm thinking about buying business cards though and taking them to our shows along with cd's

yeah for me i Ideally would want to track one song per day (10- 12hours) and a day to mix it (10 hours) editing can be tricky, sometimes its takes barely any editing, sometimes it can take forever, i did a thrash band recently that were averaging about 200 bpm and i edited every kick and snare, people talk about leaving swing in the drums but something as fast and mechanical as that project was, i didn't see the point,

It takes a day to record a track, if you're doing a lot of overdubs and not rushing then that's usually 2. I usually throw in at least a day for editing and for stuff you can't do on the fly: reamping, vocal aligning etc. So all in all it's usually 30+ hours a track.

I then throw in a full day for mixing each track on top of that and go truly insane.

I find if a band have their shit together then we can get everything recorded in about an 8 hour day, if they're unprepared, can't play their shit or there's loads of layers, working out vocal harmonies etc that can quickly end up being around 12 hours.

I charge per song, not per hour. Bands here seem to be a bit nervous when they meet per hour rates, so well... Perhaps I should. Because here's what in my opinion guarantees good results:

1. preproduction
- meeting the band at their rehearsal space, checking the material, recording their songs on camera for me to think over, discussing, planning) = 1-3 hours
- preparing the projects, re-skinning, tuning drums, setting up their instruments (or my instruments) properly = 6-12 hours. yeah.
- (more and more often). doing draft tracks. each band member plays his track into the project the way he does in on rehearsal. switching effects on their pedalboards, etc. really helps me to give them final advice on the hardest pieces and to plan the workflow with each member. 1 hour per song.
-----------------------------------------
9-16 hours roughly

2. tracking (per song)
- drums. 2-5 hours. I never hurry
- bass. 1-2 hours.
- guitars. 2-6 hours.
- vocals. 1-6 hours.
- keyboards and stuff. 1-6 hours. sometimes more, sometimes none.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 (ha-ha-ha! never) - 25 hours

3. editing per song. I edit everything, and do it with care. so it takes time. cos in many cases you can't just auto slip edit stuff. you must LISTEN and THINK.
- drums. 2-6 hours.
- bass. 1/2-2 hours.
- guitars. 1/2-6 hours. sometimes editing solos hurts so much.
- vocals. 2-6 hours. it's really individual, but at least selecting best takes with real care and a touch of tuning/timing correction.
- keys etc. 0 hours. doing it while tracking.
------------------------------------------------
5 - 20 hours

4. mixing per song.
- mixing in general - tone shaping, eq-ing, compressing, fx, etc etc etc. it's creative. so sometimes it's 2 hours. sometimes it's 8. anything in between. However, when everything is fixed, mixing is pure fun. Especially after all this exhausting editing.
- reamping (optional), which I consider a part of mixing process. 1-2 hours.
- automation. 1-6 hours. it may be an extremely time- and energy consuming process in heavier projects. because it is the key to the perfect balance.
-----------------
3 (almost never) - 16 hours

4. mastering. it usually does not take any time, because I mix through the masterchain. I think of mixing and mastering as one single process.

5. revisions.
it may take no time at all. but usually it takes up to several hours to select new takes, to paste them into prepared mix. or to change the tone of one mix element and then to adjust the whole mix to it. some clients are ridiculously anal about revisions. it's ok, but it takes time. and sometimes you can't understand why, so you're acting against your own taste.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 - 3 (let's be positive on this one) hours

All that said, let us count:
24 - 80 (!) hours.

And once again, I charge flat rate per song. If it's something really simple, I charge less, if it's over six minutes and extremely complicated, I charge more. But sometimes it's damn hard to explain why it takes a lot of time. When you divide the whole process into elements, it becomes clear.

Yea, seriously. 30h per song isn't even in the higher end. Most people need 6-12h to properly mix a song (out of album-context), so 30h including setup, overdubs, editing is most likely an average figure.

If I were you I'd simply not work on a per-song basis. That's just nuts. Unless your per song rate starts at $1000.

i charge per-song and i book 2 days per song to record. i never go over time. occasionally if the band doesn't have it together those 2 days can be long, but usually can finish off a song in two 8 hour days.