More money talk

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Hey guys.

I typically charge $175 per song/day for a band to record (I give them an option of per song or per day).

Today I've recieved 2 inquiries about full length albums; one is 10 songs, one is 12.

In this case, would you guys typically charge a 'package' rate rather than song? Maybe bump $25 off per song if they do the math kind of deal? I'm not sure, as I've never done a full album before so your advice is much needed.

thanks!

-Nick

I would really consider a per hour rate for everything if you are doing an album. It would suck to get burned financially because the band can't play correctly or wants a bunch of things changed, etc. But I would definitely make it a package deal. Anything over 6 hours and you give a bit of a decrease in your rate or something like that.

Do your per-day rate, this will make sure you still get paid for the time you're putting in. Also, it'll inherently represent a discount for the band because you only have to set things up once, which will cut down on the total amount of time the band will need.

175 * 12 = 2100

so minimum of that. if days go over say 15, add 175 per additional days.

Thanks.

If you were a band would that look like a legit rate to you? I mean.. $2100 looks like a lot of money to a lot of people, and that could be a complete turn off at first glance. Would it be better just to tell them $175 a song? Or would you flat out say $2100 for 12 songs?

Try to avoid charging / song or giving package deals. I did an album for a band and we agreed on a fix price for the whole project. In reality the album took around 30-40% more time to complete than I assumed in my calculations. So go figure ... On the other hand that one project gave me a hell of a good credit - it was a really big band in here and after the project was released I begin receiving much more enquirues.

if a band is turned off by 2100 $ for a full length they are bloody beginners and not worth your time. sometimes i cant believe bands requests.
i mean i pay 2100 $ for a great mono preamp... thats one channel... and they expect to get 12 * 100 tracks for the same money...
i wouldnt offer bands too much for no money... so my advice : charge by song. most bands dont recognize that 1 great song for 1000 $ is worth more
than 10 bad songs for 100 each $... thats the main reason why we have too much shitty music floating around... no one invests in production anymore,
its all about how many songs the band gets, not the quality... fail... i always try to make the bands understand : quality is what counts in music.

I would take rates by day for recording (so it still pays off when they suck) and make a package price for editing, mixing and mastering.

Hey guys.

I typically charge $175 per song/day for a band to record (I give them an option of per song or per day).

Today I've recieved 2 inquiries about full length albums; one is 10 songs, one is 12.

In this case, would you guys typically charge a 'package' rate rather than song? Maybe bump $25 off per song if they do the math kind of deal? I'm not sure, as I've never done a full album before so your advice is much needed.

Without knowing your recording setup, experience and hearing what quality of recording you are capable of, it would be hard to talk money?

I would take rates by day for recording (so it still pays off when they suck) and make a package price for editing, mixing and mastering.

It is easier to have a fixed rate when it comes to mixing and mastering. But i would recommend to charge per day when it comes to recording because it is so hard to predict how good the band is gonna be and how smooth the recording sessions will go

You can go with a project price... let's say ...2000$ for the whole CD and you have to be done in one month with edit,mix and master! This worked for me...

You still have to be able to make some sort of living, and if you're spending a month of full time(and probably lots of overtime) specialized work should really get paid more than $2000.

interesting gear list you got there,software is 10 times more expensive than hardware.

One day Waves will come after you :lol: