Bands are stupid (like you didn't know)

Maybe it's because they've been working their shitty burger flipping jobs, saving up all the spare cash they have... and so want to know exactly how much the sessions are going to cost them, so they can do some basic calculations and see if they have enough. They don't want to get burned and owe money that they don't have.

That's the whole point. I'm offering a flat rate so they know coming in how much everything is going to cost. If I did hourly most band underestimate how much time they'll need to get shit done, and I'm not really getting paid for editing (because I don't like doing it with the band breathing down my neck.)

The other reason I've been trying to do flat rates instead of hourly is because the studio is my side gig. I'm in graduate school getting my MBA and I work for the university, so I can't be at the studio 7 days a week. I like to be flexible about scheduling. The problem is bands are stupid, they don't understand the recording process or basic math, and I spend more time explaining this shit than recording music.

Do this:

Figure out your proposed flat rate and charge a flat vs. hourly rate. So, for example, say, "It'll be $600/song against $40/hr. If the hourly rate comes out to less than $600/song, you pay the hourly. If it goes above $600, you pay the $600."

This way, if bands think they will take less time than you KNOW they will (which they almost always do) they'll feel comfortable with the hourly rate. Everyone involved knows the price won't go over $600/song, so people won't worry too much about the clock. And YOU know they'll surpass the $600/song mark and you'll get paid what you wanted in the first place.

That's the whole point. I'm offering a flat rate so they know coming in how much everything is going to cost. If I did hourly most band underestimate how much time they'll need to get shit done, and I'm not really getting paid for editing (because I don't like doing it with the band breathing down my neck.)

The other reason I've been trying to do flat rates instead of hourly is because the studio is my side gig. I'm in graduate school getting my MBA and I work for the university, so I can't be at the studio 7 days a week. I like to be flexible about scheduling. The problem is bands are stupid, they don't understand the recording process or basic math, and I spend more time explaining this shit than recording music.

I'd present an hourly rate for tracking, fixed rate for mixing.

If the bands you are working with can't figure it out, I find it hard to see why you are complaining, as surely you wouldn't even want to work with those bands to begin with.

I'd present an hourly rate for tracking, fixed rate for mixing.

If the bands you are working with can't figure it out, I find it hard to see why you are complaining, as surely you wouldn't even want to work with those bands to begin with.

That's the catch 22. I want to record a few good bands from time to time, but in order to have A) a portfolio, and B) money to pay studio rent, I have to get a flow of paying customers, most of whom will suck.

That's the catch 22. I want to record a few good bands from time to time, but in order to have A) a portfolio, and B) money to pay studio rent, I have to get a flow of paying customers, most of whom will suck.

Yes that is the conundrum

I have recorded and tried mixing allot of shit that I really didn’t want to mess with, but in the end I am always glad I did, because I learn new shit every time, and in that experience, that is going to allow me to get the rates were I want them eventually. Eventually I can turn down some of the genres im not to incline to fuck with.

I do my rates per song. Most of the time. I do not tell bands my rates until they contact me and show me some music of them. If the project seems tight and will be not be a hassal to my work flow consistantly while recording them (This includes good timing, good transitions, all over good parts) i tend to give them a my flat price, I also give roughly enough time till it sounds good. But I tell them 8-10 hours a day and i will decide what extra time is needed. If the band i think is going to have to be spent a ton of time doing parts because they lack experiance and just learning a click, I tend to push more money at them. Which i think is far, because i am going to have to edited my life away when they're not here.

Make a Flat Rate
Base your rates off the band. Offer time.
Just my opinion on this subject

I am a mobile service- I charge an hourly rate only for tracking and that's it. I do all the mixing for free when I come home- but that's because I don't have a huge portfolio and just getting into the basics or producing acceptable product with the resources I have.

I usually just quote bands on how long I assume they're going to take from my previous experience and from examples of their performance if any. That usually works out for me anyway. Always down payment too- I've tried to be that chill realistic guy that get that you're fucking poor, only to be ripped off time and time again haha

And man, could I fucking go ON about some of the shit that is worshiped around here where I'm from. The ignorance of some musicians drives me insane. Paying ridiculous amounts of money to have walkie-talkie guitars and phonebook smacking snare drums and super retardedly quantized double bass at 400 bpms- YES. Bands of all statures will come in and all leave with the same mediocre sound, regardless of talent or equipment. Unless their hopelessly terrible...

While I'm recording drifters with next to nothing every time... Stressing myself out on whether or not to spend my paycheck on recordin equipment or other stuff I really need since everyone flocks to the "other studio" for some unknown reason

I plan on having living where I record to eliminate the rent on two locations issue. This is hopefully when I have all necessities to be self-efficient where I can provide instruments and such... But I would quote the band, with a contract with and agreed quote on estimated time, charge a flat rate on mixing depending on how complex its going to be, and be done with it. I would always make sure to overshoot too the the band comes prepared and has breathing room.

SO...UPDATE.

I've stopped pitching a per song rate and started pitching a per day rate. (Ironically the same $ amount).

It seems as though I'm already gaining more interest. I'm REQUIRING the bands to book 1 day per song, plus 1 extra day for mixing/mastering etc. But, I'm also REQUESTING that they book 1 extra day (in case shit happens). The good thing is, I'm telling them that there is no penalty for not using all of the booked time. So if they book 7 days and only need 5, they don't have to pay for the 2 other days. I'm taking a deposit that pays for the last day, and making $50 of it non-refundable. I'm requiring that each day is paid for at the beginning of the day.

This should hopefully work out, and ironically, I will be making more money. To sum it all up, Bands are stupid.

SO...UPDATE.

I've stopped pitching a per song rate and started pitching a per day rate. (Ironically the same $ amount).

It seems as though I'm already gaining more interest. I'm REQUIRING the bands to book 1 day per song, plus 1 extra day for mixing/mastering etc. But, I'm also REQUESTING that they book 1 extra day (in case shit happens). The good thing is, I'm telling them that there is no penalty for not using all of the booked time. So if they book 7 days and only need 5, they don't have to pay for the 2 other days. I'm taking a deposit that pays for the last day, and making $50 of it non-refundable. I'm requiring that each day is paid for at the beginning of the day.

This should hopefully work out, and ironically, I will be making more money. To sum it all up, Bands are stupid.

That sounds really good i will prob start doing that.