Those that record other bands/people...what do you guys do?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I've got a couple of kids here locally that want me to record them. They are just a 2 pc acoustic/vocal act. The sound they are going for is like Ben Harper (who I've never heard before, but neither here nor there.) They are interested in having a mellow drum track with it...that which, I can either have a choise of a couple guys to do it session, or I can program something for em.

They want to know my "terms", or payment for doing the project. They want to record 1 song now and if it comes together the way they wanted it to, they will do more songs with me. I'm not out to become a millionaire off of recording local bands yet, especially because there have been a few others in town who have already abused that and given shitty results. I want to do more as far as barter goes (i.e.: get me a kick drum trigger and we'll be even, pay my parking tickets and we'll be good, etc). I don't know what is really fair for recording 1 song, which is the way I'm looking at it until they do come back so I don't let myself down when they don't call me back. I'm just trying to start making a name for myself around the area as being reasonable and giving good results before I start worrying about charging an hourly rate. Sure...it puts me at the disadvantage, but it also kinda lets people know I'm not out to fuck em in the ass and that I just want to get some business and reputation.

The other drawback is I don't know what is fair to ask for in return for 1 song, let alone a whole ep. I don't want to ask for the equivalent of hundreds of dollars for 1 song, and for something that nobody else would think is fair.

What would you charge (or if you don't want to blow your load here, what would you reccomend for a slight newb) for a 2pc acoustic/vocal act and a possible drum track for 1 song? All suggestions welcome.

Me personally $100. But it depends on the market. I have to compete with guys (who are yielding good results) who will record bands for $50 :erk:. Luckily I am just a tad better and got gear for doin it up.

I have done gear for eps etc as well. Just name what you want. Make sure you get it PRIOR to recording though.

My rates go two different ways. They can either pay me $10/hour and take however long they want on anything, or $50/song and I get to say when "enough is enough"...like if it was turning out to take more than 4-5 hours for one song...I would have to say something, that's just a bit rediculous. Usually bands go for the $50/song deal, somehow they think that comes out cheaper when it takes them an average of 30 minutes per song to get it down tight and clean. But I don't say anything, lol.

For something as simple as a 2pc acoustic/vox, you could do $50 for the one song...or cheaper if you'd like. You don't want to short-change yourself. If you feel you can do a decent enough job and feel comfortable charging $50 for it, don't hesitate to do so. Or you can ask for a trigger as payment. I've acquired some of my gear through projects to where the gear was good enough to sacrifice against money as payment.

~e.a

Im starting out doing the same thing as you recording local bands and trying to get a reputation and im doing it for free since i have no experience and when you mention the word free you get a lot of interest ha ha.

I guess it all depends on your own skill level and how much you would pay for the product you will produce if you were in their shoes. If You are a neewb just covering your costs Plus minimum wage per hour would be reasonable. No more than €100 per track. Between €70 and €100 is fair for them i guess If you are a neewb if you are better and can give them great quality charge more in the region of €150-€200 per track

I don't know how the economy is where you are at, but I need to make close to $100 a day to be able to pay my rent and eat. My advice: HIGHBALL IT. It's no fun recording broke-ass clients-- they will give you every excuse in the world why they can't play for crap AND they will drive you crazy. On the other hand, if you haven't fully developed your skills, it is hard to ask for a pile of cash. Try to calculate how long you think it will take you to finish the project and you should be able to figure out an hourly rate that is fair. It really depends on your level of confidence more than anything (yes, even skill). What is your time worth?

I charge 100 bucks a song as well, to record, mix and master. They have to agree to my "terms" first and pay 100% up front, so I ask that they make their decision of how many songs up front and we set up the terms. I don't claim to be the cheapest or the best, but it's not worth my time to charge any less, IMO. I don't need to record bands or make the money, but if they want me to do the work, that's what it'll take. I know dudes who do it cheaper around here, but honestly I don't think they do any better of a job. I also don't advertise or promote that I do any type of audio work. But, people hear through word of mouth through other bands I've worked with, or I'll get emails asking who did our band's CD's. When I tell them it's me, that sometimes leads to a new project for me.

Sometimes, too, when you give them the price, you never hear back...So, ya gotta ask what you think you are worth and hope!

Normally for a full band recording, which would include drums, bass, multi-tracked guitars and vocals I would charge around $100 per song, up front.

For local bands that are in need of a quick demo, or only have a song or two to record and I know are easy to work with, I usually just ask that they donate something I need for my studio. So sometimes that could be some XLR cables, another SM57, a pair of headphones, new drum heads for the studio kit, etc. It's little piddly stuff, but it all helps in the end if I don't have to buy it out of my own pocket.

For a two piece and only one song, I would probably just ask that they pick something up for the studio, send them a link to what I need and ask that they bring the day of the recording as payment.

come up with a day rate that you feel you are worth and stick to it. get paid in full at the end of every day. never ever record for less than you feel you should be compensated for. both you and the band will be happier in the long run. if they could record themselves they would, but they probably cant so thats why the are trying to get you to record them. im sure they know they are going to have to pay to get something good. charge them what you want to be paid for a full day of work. most studios have a day rate so it is pretty normal in the industry. good luck.

i usually charge like 200-300 per song, but one song probably takes like two full days (6hr sessions) of tracking

I have to compete with guys (who are yielding good results) who will record bands for $50 :erk:.

That would be me :lol:

Really though, I don't think I'm that great, but in my area they charge like $100 or more per song and the result sounds worse than when I started out years ago with a metal zone going direct into a computer. :ill:

To answer the question, $50 - $100 might be reasonable for a full band, but I would trim it down quite a bit for just a two guy acoustic thing. There's much less involved in the whole process. Now if you have to hire a session drummer, then that might be a whole different story.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

if you guys are actually doing decent work for $50-$100 per song, then you are lowering the bar for everyone in your area.... shame.

if you guys are actually doing decent work for $50-$100 per song, then you are lowering the bar for everyone in your area.... shame.

I was gonna say, most of the guys around here that work out of their homes charge ~$50 an hour, and most bands around here find that to be a great price.

I just did a 6 song EP for a friends band, I took an SM7b as trade for the work.

That's not that bad of an idea to get started in the biz.... You start acquiring more gear, and your name starts getting around.... I'm going to have to try doing that....

I was gonna say, most of the guys around here that work out of their homes charge ~$50 an hour, and most bands around here find that to be a great price.

Around here, pretty much every band complains about anything over $50 per song and anything over pretty much forget it. I would love to charge a little more, but for now I'll just take the opportunity to actually record and mix.