Those that record other bands/people...what do you guys do?

Another thing I'm not doing right off the bat is drums.

If its an OH/Kick-only "crappy by design" kind of thing, maybe.

But for drums that count, I'll use a studio.

But my city has a really great studio for about $650 a day.

If you want to get your name out there, don't do it with basement sounding drums.

The sound they are going for is like Ben Harper (who I've never heard before, but neither here nor there.)

Are you serious ?

You've never heard about Ben Harper ?

Here in Europe (at least in France) it's HUGE.

I guess you know Jack Johnson right ?

Well in France Jack Johnson is kinda the "new Ben Harper" or something.

I was convinced that Ben Harper was huge worldwide ... Anyone please tell me if i'm wrong.

I may be spoiled, but 100$ a song!?!?!?! That's what a decent studiosinger gets for a song and he/she will blast through it in 30 minutes ...

Besides the fact that your work should be worth something, you should factor in the following:

1) gas prices/car weardown to get back and forth to the recording place
2) prices for equipment you use as well as equipment you might have to rent
3) the time it takes you to get there and back - you can't work your dayjob in that time
4) the time it takes you to set up everything
5) the time it takes to soundcheck
6) the time it takes to mix/master
7) the time it takes to tear down everything

Obviously, if you work out of your homestudio, then it is a different situation because a number of these things disappear.

Regarding drums: I'd always program them for local acts who pay very little. Much less hassle and usually sounds better ...

Are you serious ?

I was convinced that Ben Harper was huge worldwide ... Anyone please tell me if i'm wrong.

I've never heard of Ben Harper. Jack Johnson is well known, though, as he is all over every radio station ...

In this time I recorded a lot of stuff, and a lot of local bands, and my price is 100euros per song....but this price is no good if the band will take you a lot of time.
If you have good musicians to record, this price is good..if you have bad musicians then go to 20euro per hour..
In my town a professional studio take 40-50 eros for an hour.....and the result is not as good as the price you paid!
If you think that your work will be good, have no fear to get payd!

Around here, pretty much every band complains about anything over $50 per song and anything over pretty much forget it. I would love to charge a little more, but for now I'll just take the opportunity to actually record and mix.

At the moment $50 is less than £25. I wouldnt touch anything for £25 per song. Per hour I would but thats ridiculously low.

To be honest any band who wouldnt come up with a sensible amount of money have probably applied the same cant be arsed attitude to their choice of gear and rehearsal schedule.

im english so slightly different.
i charge 180 a day including studio hire, otherwise, 100 a day for little bits from home.

Ok then i guess it's just huge in France... which is weird.

Don't you worry Ben Harper is "huge" worlwide!
He's a very known artist all around the globe, but if you listen just to metal I don't think you could ever know him (...oh and I think smy1 don't listen just to metal, maybe it's just him not knowing him).

Anyway getting intopic: don't charge so low, at least 200€ per song is reasonable, I mean if you can record a demo cd (4-track demo) at 800 euro is a great price if you can work good.

i'm not going to post my actual charges... as they can often differ project to project, and anyway, it's my own business... but i will say that even the lowest paying job i've done in recent times has earned me more than Aaron's quote for the 12 song project he mentioned...... elmuchocescadawg has it exactly right when he says essentially that bands that would complain about something more than $50 a song, such as the ones crosstalk mentioned local to his area, are not worth the time... and to be honest this is true even if they DO have good gear and are talented and well rehearsed...it's just not worth the time for anyone that is beyond the initial learning stages. if you have developed any appreciable level of skill as an engineer/mixer/producer at all, then $50 should be closer to your hourly rate, NOT your "per song rate"....if you are charging this kind of rate because you are still learning and you have to go that cheap, or even work free, in order to get bands to let you practice and learn on their material, then so be it... but $50/song for anyone with any skill and experience is a joke, and it will backfire on you..... first of all, you will go broke at those rates... second, you will not get any respect for charging so low... the bottom line is that if you don't think enough of your abilities to charge a decent price for your services no one else will think much of them either. think small, stay small.

i'm not going to post my actual charges... as they can often differ project to project, and anyway, it's my own business... but i will say that even the lowest paying job i've done in recent times has earned me more than Aaron's quote for the 12 song project he mentioned...... elmuchocescadawg has it exactly right when he says essentially that bands that would complain about something more than $50 a song, such as the ones crosstalk mentioned local to his area, are not worth the time... and to be honest this is true even if they DO have good gear and are talented and well rehearsed...it's just not worth the time for anyone that is beyond the initial learning stages. if you have developed any appreciable level of skill as an engineer/mixer/producer at all, then $50 should be closer to your hourly rate, NOT your "per song rate"....if you are charging this kind of rate because you are still learning and you have to go that cheap, or even work free, in order to get bands to let you practice and learn on their material, then so be it... but $50/song for anyone with any skill and experience is a joke, and it will backfire on you..... first of all, you will go broke at those rates... second, you will not get any respect for charging so low... the bottom line is that if you don't think enough of your abilities to charge a decent price for your services no one else will think much of them either. think small, stay small.

amen :)

i'm not going to post my actual charges.................

I completely agree James, but in my scenario I only record other people maybe once or twice a year. It's usually a band of someone I've known my whole life, and I live in Maine.

There is no real aspiration for many of the bands here other than to just have a good time and record some songs here and there for fun.

The other side is that I also have no aspiration at the moment of making recording bands a full time career. I'm a full time UNIX Engineer for a very large company and there is no way I could match that income by doing audio in my area.

Recording on the cheap for friends and family members is simply a good way for me to justify spending money on my gear collection and have a good time. :)

Are you serious ?

I've heard of Ben Harper, just never sought out to listen to him.

I 100% agree with that, but I'm in your "still learning and you have to go that cheap, or even work free, in order to get bands to let you practice and learn on their material" category. :erk:

I would loooove to charge more (and have the talent to be able to ask for that much), but I don't.

And, it's not my main source of income, and doesn't look to ever become it, so 100/song seems reasonable for me.

As far as this goes (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I kind of feel that it depends on what you are doing it for as well. For example: If I said "I am a recording engineer" whether it be self taught or if I went to years of school...and I assume that this is my profession...then yeah, I'm going to want to make as much as I can off of it. However, I have a 'day job'. I work graveyard shift as a Juvenile Corrections Officer for my bread. In my case, my band and my recording and my job are all on different levels. Also, I live in an area with a shitty economy. I also teach guitar at the local music store. I charge $15/30 min lesson, because I know I won't get much more than that here. When I read about guys who are on the same level as me charging $40-$50 for a half hour, sure it makes me bitter but I also know that nobody will pay me that here. If I lived in L.A. or Seattle or (name your big city), I could probably get that without any problem.

So, in regards to James comments, I find that I agree to a point, but I think it also depends on where you are coming from. Also, and I don't mean any offense here, but is there a point where you become jaded in this after you do it for so long and you are in demand? I mean fuck...Martriden, who are also from Montana, go to Dave Otero and pay what he asks for and get the results they want. I don't know much of anyone else around here who has been able to afford to do that...I sure can't. In turn, I know many of the other bands, especially in my town, cannot afford to do so either.

As far as anyone else in my community doing the same thing, I am very proud of what I have to offer, especially for the hard rock/metal/punk bands who tend to get a dated sound because the other guys around are stuck in thier ways and don't wish to learn how to broaden thier horizons. However, I simply don't think I could ask for $4000 for a full length project: nobody here would pay that, and would quicker tell me to get fucked. Sure, if they looked outside of the state for the same work, it would cost more, but they would sooner pay the jackasses in town who got a bunch of money and bought a roland multi-track and when it comes to any sort of finalizing they just punch a preset button and call it good (yes, there are a couple of guys here who do that): then they want thier payment, and the band isn't happy but they got what they paid for.

I am starting from the bottom, essentially. I have a DAW, I have some plugins, I have a few mics, I've spent a couple of years reading input here as well as bought some books. I feel that, based only on the fact that I do have the ambition to learn and the will to meet a clients needs, that I have more to offer than the other guys around here. I simply want to build a name for myself in the area, and maybe get some equipment in return.

I don't know. I do appreciate all the input though. Please continue if you wish....

if you guys are actually doing decent work for $50-$100 per song, then you are lowering the bar for everyone in your area.... shame.

Not really. Sub Cat studio (the only one in the area with decent shit) charges $55 an hour.

I have a firepod and some mics, hardly even. If I charged even near the amount they do I would NEVER get work.

It's a quality of gear to price ratio, not quality of work to price ratio around here.