any drum programming services/people here that do it?

-J-

May 7, 2007
I hate programming drums. I hate everything about it. Takes forever, makes me lose interest in the song as I'm doing it, and it's the most boring thing ever. Even goofing with Beta Monkey loops gives me a headache. There, I got that outta the way.

So....are there any services that can do up some simple (virtual) drums? Any forum members that want to make a buck doing up some drums for a straight-forward punk/metal crossover tune I'm working on? I'll record some scratch guitars with a click, tell you the BPMs, you can go to town. As long as the beats are fast and there's some tom and snare rolls to give it some life, I'll be happy. Oh, and it's gotta be done using DKFH or something similar, no hotstepper or alesis sr-16 kinda crap. We can work out the price through PMs.

Some background here: I only have like one weekend coming up where I can record my new tune. I don't want to kill half the time programming and screwing around with the drums. Even a simple song takes me a long time.

I was hoping to spend about half of that, with the assumption it would probably take a programmer about 45 min to an hour. Would take my ass all afternoon. They don't have to be real, but I'll google around, thanks.

hmm hmm hmm. I've been thinking of offering a service costing about half that.. (EDIT: referring to the $100 a track idea)

The song these guys have up is one of the few things I've done for other people > http://www.myspace.com/theviolentgreen
For that song they had some very simplistic ideas done up in fruity loops.. I went off that and "went to town". They were real happy, even with the sounds, which were just the default sounds of one of the samplers with Sonar.

I'd have a go for you man.

$20 LOLOLOLOLOL I should have you program ALL of my songs. They better be good or you're fired. The hardest part about drum programming is not so much the programming itself, but the creation of beats and fills that fit well within a song. Legendary drumming generally isn't created in an hour. FYI, I charge $45 an hour for basic programming, $60 an hour or more for elaborate metal-type stuff. For 20 bucks I'd give you a basic Kick/Snare combo with some hi-hat and tell you to go save up some cash.:)

thanks guys.

I've sent Metalhead28 a PM, and if all goes we'll I think I'm set.

If something falls through, I'll touch bases with one of you, and I'm going to keep ya all on file for potential projects down the road.

FYI: I'm not looking for "legendary" drumming, and this particular song is very nuts-and-bolts (I'm pretty old school - literally :lol:). The fills will be simple, and I don't write Meshuggah-type time changes and off-time stuff.

$20 LOLOLOLOLOL I should have you program ALL of my songs. They better be good or you're fired. The hardest part about drum programming is not so much the programming itself, but the creation of beats and fills that fit well within a song. Legendary drumming generally isn't created in an hour. FYI, I charge $45 an hour for basic programming, $60 an hour or more for elaborate metal-type stuff. For 20 bucks I'd give you a basic Kick/Snare combo with some hi-hat and tell you to go save up some cash.:)

Well I'm sorry if my quote is laughable to you. I've done alot of this type of thing and it's worth it to me, after all I enjoy programming and I do it pretty fast.
I'm also not against simply helping a forum member, you know....I've done it before. :)

By the way, if he were to give me some Spiral Architect meets Meshuggah track I would be charging alot more....:lol:

I have done lots of this for local bands etc in the past. I usually charge $50 per song for drum programming.

thanks ken, not a bad price. I may hit you up in the future. Best of luck with the revamped Abigail Williams - saw the news recently it's back on. I used to be local to AZ, now in GA.

Well I'm sorry if my quote is laughable to you. I've done alot of this type of thing and it's worth it to me, after all I enjoy programming and I do it pretty fast.
I'm also not against simply helping a forum member, you know....I've done it before. :)

By the way, if he were to give me some Spiral Architect meets Meshuggah track I would be charging alot more....:lol:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a prick. I just feel like I need more than $20 incentive to dive into something like that. I mean, I can barely buy 2 meals at Jack-In-the-Box for that price.:)

Hey guys, on a related note, I do all of my drum programming but I was curious if somebody could DFHS them from the midis for me? Let me know guys. Oh, Ken, IM me. I'm a friend of Brad's and my SN is SoulstormTX. Anybody else feel free to IM me as well.

Can you upload the guitars and stuff anyway? That way people can make teasers with programmed drums, and then you can decide based on the clips. I'd like to be able to do it anyway even if it's just for me to mess around with.

~e.a

Some more examples of my programming are here:

www.myspace.com/themetallab

on the "candywompus2" song on this myspace page is it really drum programming ?

If such is the case i'm stoked ! Can't hear any difference with a real drummer really. It must have taken you ages to complete this song's drum programming, due to all the details involved...

sounds awesome to me (even if this kind of jazz/progressive thing is boring to me)

on the "candywompus2" song on this myspace page is it really drum programming ?

If such is the case i'm stoked ! Can't hear any difference with a real drummer really. It must have taken you ages to complete this song's drum programming, due to all the details involved...

sounds awesome to me (even if this kind of jazz/progressive thing is boring to me)

Yes, that is manual programming done with a mouse in Sonar using DFHS.
I did work on that particular song for quite a while, I didn't sit down and do it all at once that's for sure.

Thanks

Yes, that is manual programming done with a mouse in Sonar using DFHS.
I did work on that particular song for quite a while, I didn't sit down and do it all at once that's for sure.

Thanks

The drums sound really amazing in this track. One of the best drum programming i've ever heard in my life, if not the best (it's awesome on your other myspace tracks also).

I think some of your keys here are :

-you are a producer

- you are a drummer

and that makes all the difference, compared to drummers who aren't used to program drums, or dudes like me who know drum programming but who are not real drummers