Drum programming help needed....

ArtGarceau

Jan 24, 2007
Chicago
I have EZDrummer, BFD, Pro Tools, and Cubase SX2. I'm just starting to get into programming drums as I am no longer in a band and want to keep writing.

I understand that I need to manually tinker with velocity and think like a drummer, but my programmed beats just suck! I have issues making what I have in my head come out of the speakers.

Anyone have any tips for the beginner programmer? I've searched this forum and the only thing that's been a general rule is to think like a drummer.

What do you use to program your drums?

You said you had Ezdrummer.....use the midi patterns that come with it......just drag and drop.....you put it together like a puzzle......The fills they have in those midi patterns are pretty awesome and real sounding.......drag and drop some patterns then open up your drum map inside your DAW(cubase,Nuendo) and look how the patterns are written....that can really help.....My buddy which is a drummer actually learned a couple new fills by just looking and seeing were everything is hit...... good luck

You said you had Ezdrummer.....use the midi patterns that come with it......just drag and drop.....you put it together like a puzzle......The fills they have in those midi patterns are pretty awesome and real sounding.......drag and drop some patterns then open up your drum map inside your DAW(cubase,Nuendo) and look how the patterns are written....that can really help.....My buddy which is a drummer actually learned a couple new fills by just looking and seeing were everything is hit...... good luck

I appreciate your help. Time to roll up the sleeves and make some drums.