Midi loops for blast beats?

Koun7erfit

New Metal Member
Mar 7, 2011
I program my drums using Guitar Pro and import into Reaper and sample it out using SSD. All the blast beats I program in sound sterile and void of life. I need to either get better at programming in velocities and such or find some midi loops I can purchase.

Anyone got any tips?

i think the answer is pretty simple. First of all stop programming in guitar pro, its a bad habit to pick up when you could just learn to program via piano roll etc. Study how drummers hit the drums, read up on drum programming and get good at it.

Its like learning how to mix a song from scratch as opposed to picking out random presets. Its to much better to learn to do it yourself or you won't learn anything

besides blast beats are one of the most simple things to program. Wait until you get into fills and such. Experiment with different velocities and practice practice practice

Its not the actual beat thats hard to do, it IS the fills and humanization. I know that to an extent it WILL sound programmed i'm just trying to limit that. Can I just throw those in and move the notes around? I know that EZdrummers midi map is different then SSD. Im very interested in that pack.

i think the answer is pretty simple. First of all stop programming in guitar pro, its a bad habit to pick up when you could just learn to program via piano roll etc.

What? Programming in guitar pro is easier and more comfortable than using the piano roll. There's not reason why not to program using guitar pro. All the OP has to do is learn more about velocities and moving notes slightly out of tempo.

What? Programming in guitar pro is easier and more comfortable than using the piano roll. There's not reason why not to program using guitar pro. All the OP has to do is learn more about velocities and moving notes slightly out of tempo.

im just talking out of experience. I used to program out of guitar pro also but once i learned piano roll i can do it just as fast if not faster and you don't have to keep exporting and exporting when you want to change a part. Just my 2 cents

Im interested in the Toontracks pack, it is just simple midi cues?
Using the dirk verbeuren Library of the Extreme really sped up my workflow. It keeps things moving when you can just drag over a midi loop and start jamming on top. At first I was a little disappointed as I was expecting some kind of robotic EVERYTHING AT 127 VELOCITY (yes the caps was needed) machine gun blast of percussion. You instead get actual human blast beats that groove, fluctuating in velocity and timing so that no humanizing is needed.

Using the dirk verbeuren Library of the Extreme really sped up my workflow. It keeps things moving when you can just drag over a midi loop and start jamming on top. At first I was a little disappointed as I was expecting some kind of robotic EVERYTHING AT 127 VELOCITY (yes the caps was needed) machine gun blast of percussion. You instead get actual human blast beats that groove, fluctuating in velocity and timing so that no humanizing is needed.

Yeah, I still edit them quite a bit, just for consistency...

This does help tremendously.

I also have a Korg padKONTROL that I'll use to record certain parts to get a more human vibe. It really helps when trying to program hi-hat grooves and such.

+1 for PadKontrol. I use it often in conjunction with programming. I'll program the blasting kick and snare, then play the hats/ride/cymbals in real time over the fill to give it a much more human feel. Then tweak/edit as necessary