MIDI... What am I missing

flhctroll

Mar 23, 2006
Fox Lake, IL
amproductions.info
Hey all. Not sure what I am missing here. I have messed around with Fruity Loops. I can make some basic beats. I have messed around with DFH. I open DFH and can get sounds. How do I use those sounds. Say I make a midi beat with fruityloops what do I do to use the DFH sounds with that? Is there something in DFH to make Beats? How do you guys build these killer beats for metal? I dont know if there is any easy answer to this. Am I going about this all wrong? Is there a diffrent program I should be using? Also, I do not own a midi keyboard, as in the musical version. Can I use my PC keyboard? Thanks guys. Just trying to figure this whole midi thing out.

You need some kind of DAW (digital audio workstation) software. Since you're on a PC, your choices are: Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar, and a few others. The assumption with DFH is that you already have a DAW of choice.

I highly recommend you get some kind of MIDI controller keyboard, most of them now use USB. M-Audio makes some great stuff. In general, if you want to get started recording, you are going to want:

1) A nice computer (preferably a Mac.)
2) Audio interface (such as those made by Digidesign, M-Audio, MOTU, PreSonus, etc.)
3) DAW software (you can often get this bundled with the interface)
4) MIDI controller keyboard (lots of options from M-Audio among many others.)
5) Mics, preamps, guitar amps, etc.

midi controller keyboard recommendation: I love my Axiom 49....drum pads + keys.

Even has a transport section that can be used as a controller for the DAW (but I just use my US2400's)

You can "draw" the notes with the mouse if you don't have a midi keyboard, and what version of DFH? if you have superior, it comes with its own sampler, but if it's the old one, it's just a library of sounds, you'd need something like battery to load them, a software drum sampler.

I have Adobe Audition 2 & Tracktion 2. I have the Mackie Spike for my interface. I have DFH 2. I own my own studio so I have the regular mics, Mixer & ADAT. So Battery is a Drum Sampler/Beat Creator? Will Battery load DFH then? Thanks for the help so far guys.