Do most of you guys even record drums?

They wouldn't. I think they are implying that by programming the performance they can/could enhance it even further though. Its all the same in the end.:puke:

They wouldn't. I think they are implying that by programming the performance they can/could enhance it even further though. Its all the same in the end.:puke:

Sorry to say, but it's not. Of course you can fix later, same thing as when you record the DI to reamp later.
I recorded the MIDI out of a roland v-drum just the other day, and let me tell you, you will never be able to program velocities accurately enough to get close to the real deal, especially when it comes to fills. But played onb a v-drum, it's a whole other story.
I say it's a fucking killer idea to record the MIDI of a v-drum (for the shell kit only), and then record real overheads over that.

BTW: That "good blast" I posted was a Dirk Verbeuren played midi file. ;)

It wasn't hand programmed. The one above it was the same blast, just quantized and all velocities to 127. Blasts are fucking hard to program right.

As far as your high hat comment, yeah I can see that. Although with really nice hats ($300 and up) especially some of the smaller ones have a much faster decay to them.

I don't mess with programming other than in songwriting, preproduction, or my own stuff if i can't do drums on it.

I would rather have a shitty drum sound that I am responsible for, or sounds exactly like that shitty drummer sounds like, than just saying oh well i'm just gonna program shit or edit it to fuck and back so it sounds good despite what really happened in this room. If someone compliments me on a drum sound, I want it to be 100% because the people involved worked their asses off to get it right.

Yeah, I agree 100%.
If a recording is a bit dirty, a bit sloppy, a bit muddled and sounds like it was recorded in a shitty practice room, that's fine with me.

All of the recordings of my old band Foetus in a Jar sound like the old college studio (before they knocked it down in favour of building two new college buildings that smell like hospitals.... eurghhhh....)
So many memories attached to that place, such a specific feeling gets invoked for me listening to anything recorded there. That's the kind of thing that really makes recordings special.
Anyone can eventually learn to polish stuff to a mirror shine, but I'd rather hear how it really went down, even if what went down involved a few mistakes, missed drum hits and finger slips.

BTW: That "good blast" I posted was a Dirk Verbeuren played midi file. ;)

It wasn't hand programmed. The one above it was the same blast, just quantized and all velocities to 127. Blasts are fucking hard to program right.

As far as your high hat comment, yeah I can see that. Although with really nice hats ($300 and up) especially some of the smaller ones have a much faster decay to them.

This just shows the difference between real and fake drums even better. People keep saying play it on a electronic kit and it will be great. It does not matter how you get the midi values. Playing an electronic kit and spending some time programming will get you to the same place(although playing it would speed things up) eventually- FAKE DRUM LAND:yuk:.

Compare Dirk's midi drum blast with a recorded one off of his albums. Makes that midi sound useless.

Oh, and I've programmed blasts that have sounded better than that played midi example.:erk:

New thread in the rate my mix section by me

Recorded live, real instruments, unedited, real people......

Posted 12 hour ago - Status : almost buried
40 Views , 0 replies

I'm not fishing for replies or trying to sound like a dick but I thought it was pertinent to this thread and maybe a little disheartening.